Help with Emco Concept Mill 55

More
05 Sep 2018 16:05 #117115 by Harleyvet02
Forewarning: I am just learning about LinuxCNC.
I have some experience with machining and CNC, but have no experience with Linux or LinuxCNC. I have built a MPCNC (Mostly printed CNC) machine running on a Ramps board and using EstlCAM as CAM software Repetierhost as the Gcode sender.

I have a lightly used Concept mill 55. I have a complete machine but no software, and from research the software is dated. I would like to move away from the proprietary hardware and software from EMCO.

I would like to retain the stepper drivers and steppers (they are uncommon 5 wire) and use a mesa board like this person did.
EMCO PC Mill 55 LinuxCNC

I have a Dell desktop (unsure of specs and not with me right now) that I have run LinuxCNC from startup disk with acceptable jitter. I would like to use this as the PC for now and maybe move to an ITX board housed within the mill case in the future.

What Mesa setup would fit this setup the best? I would like to reuse as many of the EMCO components as possible. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'm trying to do this on a budget as this will not be a production machine.

Please keep it simple because I'm trying to learn LinuxCNC as fast as I can, but some posts read like a foreign language to me.

Thanks,

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2018 17:08 #117122 by RotarySMP
It would help to provide more information about the Emco Concept mill 55. What sort of interface do those stepper drivers support? Does it have linear encoder closed loop feedback? How is the spindle powered, VFD, DC motor or gear etc.?

Generally it is cheaper to fix the existing control Especially if you are only missing the Software, someone must have the disks for this machine. If you can get the machine working on the original control, it is much easier to plan a retrofit if necessary.
Mark

More
05 Sep 2018 21:44 #117130 by Harleyvet02
RotarySMP
Thanks for the help. This is what I know without the machine in front of me:

Spindle: Lenze VFD
Feedback is via optical encoders on each stepper drive pulley
Steppers are Berger Lahr VRDM366/50LHB00
Mn 0.9 Nm
In 5.8 Amms
Vmax 28.3 Vac
K 11.9Vrms/1000rpm
Stepper drivers are EMCO proprietary and I can find little information on them.
There are limit switches on all axes.

The above video shows someone using a Mesa 7i76 board to send step/dir to the driver boards. I am interested in pursuing that approach.
I will try to attach some pictures later.

More
06 Sep 2018 02:32 #117137 by cmorley
looks like someone made a wiring diagram...

www.dropbox.com/s/fp5t1yjc5njdlaj/wiringcheck.png?dl=0

More
12 Sep 2018 12:07 #117388 by RotarySMP
A Mesa 5i25 (if you have a spare PCI slot) and a 7i76 make sense for a Step/dir machine. Depending on how much I/O the machine needs, and it's voltage, you might need an additional interface card like the 7i84.
Mark

More
12 Sep 2018 17:36 #117415 by Harleyvet02
I'm planning on going that route. Was just about to place the order. Any disadvantage to using 7i76E card instead of 5i25/7i76 combo? I have a desktop machine loaded with Linuxcnc, it has a spare PCI slot. I would eventually like to move to a fanless mother board within the cabinet. I/O needs I have now or can forsee for the immediate future are 3-4 axis step/dir. VFD spindle, 3 axis homing switches, door switch, E-stop, cooling (mist?).

More
14 Sep 2018 12:27 #117519 by andypugh
5i25 / 7i76 is a bit easier to configure and is understood by the setup wizard.

More
14 Sep 2018 18:31 #117553 by Harleyvet02
I'm ordering the 51i25/7i76. I decided for my first venture into linuxcnc with an "odd" machine I would go with the something others have tried.
I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. I'm sure there will be more questions to come.

Thanks.

More
15 Sep 2018 01:07 #117562 by JohnnyCNC
I used the 6i25/7i76 because the fan-less MB I was going to use had a PCI Express slot rather than PCI slot. When I built my 2.0 control cabinet I moved the MB into the cabinet and made a short flat cable to connect the 6i25/7i76 together.

More
15 Sep 2018 13:37 #117575 by Harleyvet02
I thought about that. I'm just trying to get it up and running with the older desktop I already have Linuxcnc running on. If needed I may have to purchase a 6i25 card later. Card should be here next week, although I won't have much time to work on it.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds