New to Linux-LinuxCNC.... have questions

More
22 Oct 2018 18:15 #119214 by w4swasey
As I stated in the beginning Im new to Linux.

I'm assuming I have to download & install Linux OS. Then add LinuxCNC?

When looking online there seems to be many versions. which is best for using CNC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 05:20 #119238 by tommylight
www.linuxcnc.org/linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso

www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

You do not have to install Linux then Linuxcnc, just download one of the above versions and make a bootable USB with it, you can use it as a live session so you can get comfortable with it without any installation, or install it to HDD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: w4swasey

More
23 Oct 2018 18:18 - 23 Oct 2018 19:15 #119274 by w4swasey
In using the Mesa 7i76E & need to use a 110V device how do I incorporate a relay to handle that type of load or loads?

I have never wired a system from scratch. I've read in the manual. If I understand it correctly i'll have to supply the daughter card with a 12V power source at TB1 "Field Power" then wire out to a separate relay. Is this correct?
Last edit: 23 Oct 2018 19:15 by w4swasey. Reason: Correct post & add more text

More
23 Oct 2018 19:59 #119278 by rodw
Maybe a solid state AC relay?
au.rs-online.com/web/p/products/9032970/...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You will need to mount it on a heat sink. There are some nice ones that are designed specifically for the component. I got mine off ebay as a set.

More
23 Oct 2018 21:59 #119294 by JohnnyCNC
You could also use ones like these AutomationDirect - Relays . You will also need the matching socket. I used the single pole 24 volt ones in my cabinet. For a larger inductive load I used a SSR as RODW suggested.
Mounting them using a piece of DIN rail makes for a nice installation and easier changes in the future.

If you get relays with a coil look for ones that draw less that draw less than 60ma. If you get larger ones you will want to install the flyback diodes

From the manual

VOLTAGE CLAMPS The output driver chips used on the 7I76E have built in Zener diode clamps to clamp inductive turn-off (fly-back) spikes. This means that flyback diodes are not normally required on small (less than 60 mA) inductive loads. If high current inductive loads are switched or inductive loads are switched at high frequencies, they must have flyback diodes to limit power dissipation in the 7I76E's driver chips.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds