toolchange protocol and manual toolchange touchoff

More
17 Dec 2018 18:26 #122526 by frogandspanner
> Would an automatic tool-length probe work better? It's rather easier to make work

I have though of that as an ultimate destination, but am nervous of the journey, and the number of tools broken on the way. As a CNC novice I wanted a relatively straightforward (and cheap) approach.

A little background: I got into linuxCNC by accident, never intending to work with CNC. I bought a small mini mill (Sieg SX2P) and got fed up cranking the x-axis handle, so I motorised it. I then came across linuxCNC as a way of controlling the motor, and it did away with counting how many cranks of the handle I'd made. The benefits soon led to the Y axis being modified, then the Z, and A soon followed. THEN: how to programme this kit usefully?!?!?!? I am learning, but find linuxCNC difficult to comprehend.

>The other alternative, and one that actually works pretty well
>(and is rather more flexible) is to split the G-code up into one file
>for each tool.

I am an untidy organiser, and have been unhappy about having bits of g-code for the same item in different files. I'd much rather have a single program with toolchanges. However, I have written recent projects using g-code generators I write in C, and have been using a combination of the touchoff-toolchange and (when that fails) separate files.

>This also gives you the option of using one tool on many parts, as
>sometimes it is quicker and easier to swap workpieces than tools.

I am still in nett swarf-producer mode, so am not advanced enough to be making multiple parts at a time. In fact, I am usually working on several instances of a single piece, each at a different stage of ruination.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2018 09:52 #122562 by pl7i92
IT Woudt be good to tell Here How you like to Change Tool
and How does the Setup looks

Then there is a Good change to get as Best working Procedure
""" I Got a Magazin of 6 Toolclamps/Holders for manuel Toolchange """
This woudt giveyou the Tooltable opertunity

""" I Got only one Clamp ERx and change every Tool in Manuel no ToolLength Mesurment Point"""
MAkE a Pice of PCB 1,5mm Thick Crocodile Clamp to Probe in
in G-code add your Post processor to get
MOVE UP you may know your limit 30mm+
M00
(Tool Change)
G38.2 G91Z-30 F40
G92 Z1.5
G90
G0 Z3
M00
(REMOVE Touch Plate and tool Clamp )

GO on CNC

More
02 Jan 2019 12:51 #123322 by frogandspanner
After much research in the source code I am convinced that the bodge that I found and am using, in modified form, is the best that can be done with manual touchoff.

I'll have a look at auto-touchoff, but am concerned about the idea of using something (e.g. pcb) that results in a hard impact.

More
02 Jan 2019 13:40 #123328 by andypugh

I'll have a look at auto-touchoff, but am concerned about the idea of using something (e.g. pcb) that results in a hard impact.

Something spring-loaded is likely to be safest.
There are specific devices available for the job. Though making your own would be cheaper.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Werkzeuglangensensor-...4:g:S7gAAOxy3yNTfQx3

More
03 Jan 2019 03:02 #123385 by JohnnyCNC
This is the one I built. The button starts the probe process. It can handle a 1/4 inch overshoot although it has never needed it.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds