Hardinge CHNC issue

More
17 Dec 2018 00:10 #122493 by myfirstcnc
I just put my storred CHNC back in service in my Barn Shop and I'm down to what i hope is one final proble and it's killing me to figure out. The spindle lock with not pull out and allow the spindle to move freely. Everything else on the machine seems to work and air to all air driven stations seem to work well. There is air going to the spindle lock and when I try to jog the spindle I can here it moving through the lines. I tried pulling out the spindle loce but could only get it so far so I stopped and lubbed it well with the hopes it might free up. What did i miss that might release the lock or is it just rust or moisture that is causing it to Jam in the locked postion?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2018 00:38 #122494 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Hardinge CHNC issue
Maybe the seals are leaking?

How much do you need a spindle lock? Maybe you could just remove it?

More
17 Dec 2018 02:12 #122500 by myfirstcnc
Replied by myfirstcnc on topic Hardinge CHNC issue
I'm not sure that i need it that much but until I can get it to move I can't even take it off the machine

More
17 Dec 2018 06:45 #122506 by OT-CNC
Replied by OT-CNC on topic Hardinge CHNC issue
Does your machine have a spindle brake by any chance? If so, maybe that is locked and not the pin? I'm only familiar with the manual version of the locking pin on that spindle.

More
17 Dec 2018 09:25 #122508 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Hardinge CHNC issue
Grease ofen Helps on Turning Old Spindles

More
17 Dec 2018 15:39 #122522 by myfirstcnc
Roger that I'm using Liquid Wrench for now. I'm wondering if there is a code that I'm missing.

More
17 Dec 2018 17:22 #122523 by BBowers
Replied by BBowers on topic Hardinge CHNC issue
My CHNC is the one with a rounded top like a covered wagon. This is how it works.
There are 2 things that keep the spindle from turning, spindle lock and a brake on the motor.
The brake has to be energized to allow the spindle motor to turn. Solid state relay 4CR must be powered up to disengage the brake .
If you can rotate the spindle just a few thousandths then your lock pin is out and you are just taking up the slack of the drive belts with the motor locked.
To remove the spindle lock you have to remove 2 set screws (one on top of the other in the same hole) just above the spindle lock. You can then remove the 4 screws on the face and it should pull out.

More
17 Dec 2018 18:28 #122527 by myfirstcnc
This is great info thanks. I do have a bit of movement when it's in spindle free mode however the spindle lock shaft should still be able to move at least a bit. May be not. You could be correct, may be the motor is locked. If i put it into jog and put the spindle from auto to free don't you think it should move. I also put the spindle in Jog and it sounds like it's trying to override the spindle lock like it's supposed to. How else can I get the spindle to move?

More
17 Dec 2018 18:43 #122528 by BBowers
Replied by BBowers on topic Hardinge CHNC issue
When my lock pin is engaged there is no movement of the spindle. It's a very close fit.

More
17 Dec 2018 19:01 #122529 by myfirstcnc
I think you might of nailed it. This is starting to make sense. Since it was sitting for so long I thought moisture might of built up. I pulled the collet closure ant it was clean. So may be i just need to run a program.

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds