Joint limit switch errors

More
25 May 2019 12:53 #134892 by norbertfarquharsh
Thanks for your suggestion. Mine is a Xylotex and it requires 5 volts and I checked that and it is okay. There are no jumpers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2019 18:43 #135025 by norbertfarquharsh
I am replying to this mail because I am hoping I can get help me on where my logic is failing.
I have changed nothing in hal or ini since the first mail and the Axis interface errors have
not changed so the enclosures with that mail are still current.

The axis interface is still failing and indicating that there is no limit switch closure on all axes.
The Halmeter is still showing that the condition is True on all three axes which I thought meant that
there was a limit switch contact closure.
And Halmeter shows no change in condition when the the limit switch(es) are manually operated.

I downloaded and used the ptest widget mentioned in the forum. That shows contact closure (red
indicators) on pins 11, 12, and 13 which turn to green when the switches are activated.

My conclusions are that ptest shows the limit switches normally closed and then open when
operated. Halmeter shows the closed condition but then not the open condition. And Axis shows
the limit switches always open.

Obviously I am missing something.

More
26 May 2019 19:20 #135030 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Joint limit switch errors
Umm it looks like you have a sim config...
from your hal file:

loadrt sim_parport names=parport.0

More
26 May 2019 21:01 #135031 by norbertfarquharsh
Thank you very much. I never would have spotted that. Had no idea what that was and looked it up and still have no idea what I would want to use it for and how it got in there.
My first thought is to go through Stepconfig and generate a new set of .hal and .ini. and see if there is anything that I might do or might have done to generate that line and then check if I get a sim_parport line again.
So I will try that, but if you have any suggestions they would be very welcome.
Thanks again.

More
26 May 2019 21:36 #135032 by tommylight
On the second page of stepconf there is a selection for "create simulated............", do not check that, or uncheck if it is checked.

More
27 May 2019 10:38 #135061 by norbertfarquharsh
Yes, I think I remember that and pretty much ignored it but I may have checked it thinking it was meant something else. I will look at that.
Thanks a lot.

More
27 May 2019 12:47 #135067 by norbertfarquharsh
YES, that fixed the problem with the limit switches.

For some reason now I have other problems that I will need to figure out.

Thanks a lot.

More
28 May 2019 00:36 #135102 by tommylight
Nice, keep asking and we'll keep answering.
You are welcomed, always.

More
28 May 2019 12:50 #135162 by norbertfarquharsh
Thanks again for all your help.
And I do have another question which may lead to more questions.
I mentioned that there were still problems and I looked at them and did some research and found that 2.8 apparently has problems with Stepconfig and two joints on one axis and found one forum entry about how to edit .hal and .ini to correct it but admitted that there were more problems. And there were responses to that with more corrections and and unresolved problems. I tried it and had problems not mentioned.
And that entry that I found was rather old. I wonder if you can tell me if there is a solution or a posting that is complete in getting the system working.
Thank you.

More
28 May 2019 21:57 #135203 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Joint limit switch errors
I think the issues with stepconf have long been fixed. Initially the change to the independent joints in 2.8 meant that stepconf, pmcconf and some of the GUI's needed to catch up. At that time it was suggested to configure a 4 axis XYZA config and subsequently hand edit the A axis to become say Y2 to make a XYZY config for a gantry. But I have never used stepconf. I know PNCCONF was fixed as I tested it for the author when he made the changes (and it worked).

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds