PUMA geometry

More
19 Aug 2019 08:42 #142478 by cheng
Replied by cheng on topic PUMA geometry
Hello, have you made any progress in your research? I also need to study the 6-axis manipulator. Can you provide me with some research direction?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2019 12:04 #142489 by felixcnc
Replied by felixcnc on topic PUMA geometry
Hi. Unfortunately not, I have stopped due to the winter holidays on this hemisphere, but I have to restart my investigation this week.

I think I'll go back to the Puma investigation, because IT HAS 6 axis (or that's what it looks like), and everything is in place, so I think that's the long hanging fruit to make a 6-axis robot.

Please let me know if you make some progress, I will post my progress here as well.

Cheers.

More
21 Aug 2019 00:55 #142667 by cheng
Replied by cheng on topic PUMA geometry
Yes. If I make progress, I'll post it here, too.

More
26 Sep 2019 16:23 #146279 by Mohamed
Replied by Mohamed on topic PUMA geometry
Does any one make any progress?

More
26 Sep 2019 17:26 #146288 by felixcnc
Unfortunately not. But this weekend I have to sit down with a paper and do some reverse engineering .

I have a spreadsheet with positions for all the joints and tooltip , so I want to calculate the direct kinematics by hand and see if I can find the values somewhere.

I'm very frustrated, because the pumakins code looks quite difficult to reverse engineer.

Cheers

More
29 Sep 2019 14:17 #146571 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic PUMA geometry
LinuxCNC has two PUMA sims. One uses pumakins and one uses genserkins. (puma560)

Which one are you using, and have you considered the other?

More
30 Sep 2019 10:08 #146699 by felixcnc
Hi Andy,

I am using PUMA sims. In fact I have added a few debug lines (aka printf) into the
pumakins.c
code just to understand how the Denavit-Hartenberg coded there was affecting joints and tool tip.

The question I am trying to answer here is: How can I configure a different geometry for the PUMA?

I don't know if PUMA and PUMA560 have the same geometry and degrees of freedom. But I need to calculate positions for a PUMA with 6 degrees of freedom, because we have an old robot arm with 6 degrees of freedom and it's similar to a PUMA that we'd like to bring back to life.

If I understand the HAL correctly this part of the PUMA HAL seems to be responsible of setting the geometry, but I don't really understand what are those parameters, and I couldn't find any documentation about how these parameters affect the geometry.

I couldn't find any documentation in LInuxCNC about how to set all these parameters for a PUMA to fill out the Denavit-Hartenberg parameters (length of the links, offsets, angles, etc.).

So my only hope is (using the values I got from using printf to see if I can reverse engineering those values....

(unfortunately, I am not that good at math, and I have a lot of things to do at work, so I can't focus into this project a lot)

Cheers

More
01 Oct 2019 02:08 #146776 by thang
Replied by thang on topic PUMA geometry

I don't know if PUMA and PUMA560 have the same geometry and degrees of freedom. But I need to calculate positions for a PUMA with 6 degrees of freedom, because we have an old robot arm with 6 degrees of freedom and it's similar to a PUMA that we'd like to bring back to life.

If i'm not wrong, pumakin.c is using "classic DH parameter" but genserkins.c is using "modified DH parameter". They are difference type.

If I understand the HAL correctly this part of the PUMA HAL seems to be responsible of setting the geometry, but I don't really understand what are those parameters, and I couldn't find any documentation about how these parameters affect the geometry.

I couldn't find any documentation in LInuxCNC about how to set all these parameters for a PUMA to fill out the Denavit-Hartenberg parameters (length of the links, offsets, angles, etc.).

Linuxcnc doesnt have document for arm robot but google has a lot of them. in order to use genserkins i think u just need to understand what "modified DH parameter" is.

More
02 Oct 2019 01:22 #146842 by felixcnc
Agreed.

I already have a robot arm, and already have a robot geometry, so in my case I would like to configure LinuxCNC to calculate the joint movements for that particular arm.

I will read what's a "modified DH parameter" but in my case I am just trying to make LinuxCNC to make this arm.

So I was expecting to say "my robot have these DH parameters", but I don't know how to add these parameters to LinuxCNC, and that's what I was asking.

Thanks!
Cheers

More
03 Oct 2019 05:04 #146948 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic PUMA geometry
If you look at the Puma560 config files does that help? Presumable there are numbers there that match the sim Puma.

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...uma560_sim_6.hal#L37

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds