First time CNC builder here... need advice.

More
26 Aug 2019 14:20 #143222 by Agawa
Hello everyone.

This may seem like a very newbie post here but I am very interested in building my first CNC machine... My current occupation is an Industrial Electrician at a steel mill so the electronic part of the machine is very clear to me.. My only question is for what controller set up to go with.. Ive spent hours reading up on Arduino...grbl... different type of break out boards... mach 3..fusion 360 etc... I think i have now made the choice to go the Linux CNC route... I am also interested in communicating by ethernet. Just wondering if anyone could steer me into the right direction for a Linux CNC set up and also opinions from some veterans out there. I want to start out with a Z Y X axis router configuration but eventually turn it into a plasma set up. My frame would be constructed from steel along with linear rails with bearing blocks... So my main question is... Is there a good recommended breakout board that linux cnc can communicate via ethernet? i want to avoid parallel ports...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2019 15:00 #143223 by tommylight
If you plan to use steppers, your best choice will be the Mesa 7i96, or if you can afford it get the 7i76E.

More
26 Aug 2019 15:05 #143224 by Agawa
okay thank you. yes steppers for the first machine. Nema 23's...

also..would a PCI > Parallel port adapter work since my MOBO doesnt have a parallel port?

More
26 Aug 2019 15:23 - 26 Aug 2019 15:23 #143226 by Clive S

okay thank you. yes steppers for the first machine. Nema 23's...

also..would a PCI > Parallel port adapter work since my MOBO doesnt have a parallel port?

The 7i76e is connected by Ethernet to the pc a cheaper version is the 7i96 also Ethernet .

If you want to go with the 7i76 it is generall connected to the pc with a 5i25 or 6i25 depending on pci or pcie
Last edit: 26 Aug 2019 15:23 by Clive S.

More
26 Aug 2019 15:36 #143229 by tommylight
Yes a PCI to parallel card will work, but there are some that do not. I used a lot of them made by NetMos or MosChip.

More
26 Aug 2019 17:33 #143234 by Agawa
okay so i may have jumped the gun here...since this will be my very first build i think im going to stick with a PARALLEL B.O.B.and try go with a PCI to Parallel adapter card...

I am going to go with a Sainsmart 5 AXIS ST-V6 board. It is fairly cheap and should be good for my self learning experience.

For my PCI adapter card I will be going with a MOSCHIP parallel card...

next on my list is to go with 4 seperate driver boards, or is there one unit driver board that someone can suggest?

this definately has been a huge learning curve for me and I thank everyone who is helping me out!

More
26 Aug 2019 18:01 #143236 by Todd Zuercher
If you have to buy a parallel port card anyway, I'd strongly consider going straight to a Mesa 5i25(PCI card) or 7i92(Ethernet version of the same) to use with your parallel port breakout board, they only cost $89.

Also look your motherboard over carefully, a lot of them still might have a 26-pin header for attaching a parallel port if they don't have an actual parallel port. My work computer does (Lenovo), and it was never advertised as having a parallel port.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agawa

More
26 Aug 2019 18:14 #143238 by tommylight
You can start with TB6600 drives, they are around 50$ for 4 of them.

More
26 Aug 2019 18:19 #143240 by Agawa
Yes i just checked one of my old AM3 MOBO and it does infact have a LPT header. I would just need a ribbin cable if that. thank you again!

More
26 Aug 2019 18:29 #143241 by pl7i92
i got a full advice as a video here

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds