How to select Mesa boards for my CNC project.

More
03 Oct 2019 11:42 #146974 by Chris D
Hi Andy,

I have LinuxCNC loaded on an RPI4, I used one of the image files posted in the other thread where they are testing it.

I don't have it connected to anything but the user interface, back plotting etc. all seem to work fine. I assume the mesa card provides the realtime control of the steppers and I/O.

What part is running "Slower" ?

Chris D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2019 01:46 #147065 by andypugh
If it's fast enough for you, by all means carry on. :-)

You probably need a heat sink and fan, though.

More
05 Oct 2019 13:08 #147195 by Chris D
Andy,

I agree that a heat sink and fan are needed. While running the Latency test along with those gear animations, the temp warning icon would come up pretty fast. I had the RPI4 in the "official" case, it didn't melt but it sure was warm!

In the next month or two I have a couple of projects that will be taxing the RPI4 so I will be trying out different cooling options for it. The CNC project looks like that will be in early spring so by then there should be plenty of reliable cooling solutions.

Chris D

More
05 Oct 2019 22:08 #147225 by Mike_Eitel
This guy is one of my favorites and he did a nice Pi4 cooler comparison.

More
06 Oct 2019 12:20 #147243 by Chris D
Hi Mike,

I too am a big fan of the "Guy with a Swiss accent"! Based on that episode, I ordered one that he recommended and another that had similar functionality.

Chris D

More
24 Jan 2022 16:49 #232978 by Hendrixx
Would I be able to use the p1 expansion on a 7i96 connected to 7i75 to connect a pendant.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds