Low Speed for 3d Printing application

More
07 May 2021 11:45 #208198 by andypugh
I just had a thought about this. With the current linuxCNC trajectory planner the best way to configure a 3D printer is probably with X and Y as X and Y, Z as filament feed (to include it in the blending) and W as built plate height, as that only moves once per layer, and not (usually) while printing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2021 14:12 #208218 by tommylight

I just had a thought about this. With the current linuxCNC trajectory planner the best way to configure a 3D printer is probably with X and Y as X and Y, Z as filament feed (to include it in the blending) and W as built plate height, as that only moves once per layer, and not (usually) while printing.

:woohoo:

More
07 May 2021 16:52 #208232 by Doogie
Thanks, I was thinking of moving the extruder to Z and coordinate Z to A, ie swapping current Z/A to get the extruder in the 50 segment look-ahead and blending but why W instead of A?

This will really throw a wrench in getting this setup(LinuxCNC/Remora) generally accepted as a 3DP platform since all the 3DP slicers generate XYZA gcode for LinuxCNC/Machinekit and for all others it's XYZE.

I don't know how the look-ahead and blending was implemented but dang, it would have fit well had it been coded to take in the 3 axis to blend. But I get it, CNC standars are XYZ=linear motion, ABC=rotary motion.

More
07 May 2021 17:22 - 07 May 2021 17:23 #208236 by andypugh

why W instead of A?

Only because it is conventionally a linear axis and used as a "second Z"

This will really throw a wrench in getting this setup(LinuxCNC/Remora) generally accepted as a 3DP platform since all the 3DP slicers generate XYZA gcode for LinuxCNC/Machinekit and for all others it's XYZE.

You could use an input filter to automatically change XYZE code to XYWZ code at the time of loading.

I don't know how the look-ahead and blending was implemented but dang, it would have fit well had it been coded to take in the 3 axis to blend. But I get it, CNC standars are XYZ=linear motion, ABC=rotary motion.

There is a version of LinuxCNC with blending between all motions. Pathpilot uses it. (Nor sure about Machinekit). I don't know how hard it would be to merge it in to LinuxCNC. The joints-axes changes might make it quite a challenge, or might not.
Last edit: 07 May 2021 17:23 by andypugh.

More
07 May 2021 19:21 #208248 by Doogie
Thanks for explaining. I will look up how to create an input filter since that would be great and hide the work-arounds.

Should I create a new thread as I try to configure my machine this way and hit problems? ex: LinuxCNC is complaining about my joint_2/W axis having a MAX_LIMIT of 230 and wants +1e99

More
07 May 2021 20:19 #208256 by Doogie
IIRC things are messing up for 3D printing because using the A axis(a rotary axis in CNC world) reverts to a 1 segment look-ahead and disables blending capabilities.

So, would the segment look-ahead still drop to 1 segment if I move my extruder(A axis) to one of the 3 linear axis( UVW ) leaving standard coordinate system setup of X Y and Z motion?

More
09 May 2021 19:41 #208409 by andypugh

So, would the segment look-ahead still drop to 1 segment if I move my extruder(A axis) to one of the 3 linear axis( UVW ) leaving standard coordinate system setup of X Y and Z motion?

Unfortunately, AFAIK the new TP only works in XYZ.

As I mentioned, there is a newer one out there, the question is whether it can be integrated.

More
09 May 2021 21:06 #208419 by tommylight
Sorry to hijack the topic, but what are the chances of having a 3D printing section of the forum and is anyone here interested in it?
For now i have 4 and getting another 4 of the creality printers this week (some mess up with prices so i am still getting 700 to 1300$ printers for 250 to 460 euro a piece ! :) ), not LinuxCNC related but it takes an afternoon to switch one to it ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: joekline9, Doogie

More
09 May 2021 22:28 #208429 by Doogie
Thanks for the reply Andy and unfortunately PathPilot nor Machinekit will work at the moment as I'm running LinuxCNC on the rPi. Tormach is doubtfully supporting rPi and Machinekit has been all about the Beaglebone Black and derivatives. I have one of my detla 3D printers running Charles Steinkuehler's CRAMPs board on the BBB. But the GUI stuff is tough on the BBB so I used the Machinekit remote VCP but that's a Machinekit thing..

So here I am with Scott Alford's Remora firmware on SKR v1.4 controller board in a Creality Ender3 3D printer with LinuxCNC on a Raspberry Pi and finding out there's no look-ahead path blending because I have an extruder motor on the A axis.

It works but it seems like it's being held back greatly because of the 1 segment fallback. So it'll be a tough road to get people excited about using LinuxCNC on 3D printers even though it can be done for less than $100 and the rPi box is tiny compared to the big gray PC box typically needed for LinuxCNC.

Sounds like it's going to need an on-the-fly file filter and swapping the extruder axis(A) for the motion axis(Z) and getting Z away from ABC and over to linear U, V or W axis.

More
10 May 2021 00:15 #208440 by cakeslob
should extruder even be an axis? couldnt it be some kind of spindle? using some kind remap of G33/G33.1 so that it isnt on at all times. what happens to the look ahead when you do synchronized spindle motions? or just use a synced move for z

Sorry to hijack the topic, but what are the chances of having a 3D printing section of the forum and is anyone here interested in it?

Yes, I think there should be, because it is a good potential use case for linuxcnc (best option for 3d printing but not the easiest) also, because it can hopefully centralize discussion related to 3dprinting into fewer sections, making it easier to find information for setup and about problems that might not exist in normal cnc operations. the extruder axis/tp lookahead being a good example.

not LinuxCNC related but it takes an afternoon to switch one to it ! :)

not yet it isnt. Octoprint is great and all, but it seems kinda backwards way of doing it, now that the rpi4 is out and has some guts to it. With the increased availability of linuxcnc on a small, cheap platform, and the excellent work everyone has done from the rpi images, to the other embedded platforms like H3, to scott alfords work with the rpi and existing 3d printer boards, the shift is on its way, that much can be seen with how many more rpi4 related threads there have been in the past few years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds