Repository expired

More
23 Jan 2020 01:41 #155483 by claytoncramer
Attempting to install the2.7.0.14 linuxCNC, but attempting to use Synaptic Package Manager to install emacs, ddd and other useful tools finds no packages. Using apt-get gives a message about the wheezy updates/Release "is expired". Solution?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2020 03:01 #155495 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic Repository expired
Wheezy has been archived a while ago (there are no updates, no need to get freaked out), you need to update the repo to
deb archive.debian.org/debian wheezy main

This page does more justice:
serverfault.com/questions/960970/wheezy-...eturns-404-not-found

I wouldn't get too freaked out by the security warning at the end of the article. There is not a big risk of your milk going sour, chickens not laying and rivers running dry.

More
23 Jan 2020 03:41 #155499 by claytoncramer
Replied by claytoncramer on topic Repository expired
Did that. sudo apt-get update still complains about the expired repository. I installed this ISO in a VM under Windows 10 a few months back, and Synaptic Package Manager still works there.

More
23 Jan 2020 04:16 - 23 Jan 2020 04:39 #155502 by BeagleBrainz
What exact expired repo is it exactly complaining about ?
The Wheezy repos were archived June 2018.
The actual error output and you apt sources will help. Include any in the /etc/apt/ directory and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory.

Theoretically if you copy the /etc/apt directory from the VM to other machine it should all be good.

I just installed Linuxcnc 2.7.14 via the official iso and this is the contents of my /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
deb-src http://archive.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
#deb http://archive.debian.org/debian wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://archive.debian.org/debian wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
#deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-security wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://archive.debian.org/debian-security/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

used this to run
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mc geany gftp

And all was good.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2020 04:39 by BeagleBrainz. Reason: Add section about wheezy install

More
25 Jan 2020 22:36 #155763 by claytoncramer
Replied by claytoncramer on topic Repository expired
Thank you. You solved my problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
30 Jan 2020 14:23 #156180 by ogogon
Replied by ogogon on topic Repository expired

The Wheezy repos were archived June 2018.

And what does it mean archived?
Will they no longer develop?

Ogogon.

More
30 Jan 2020 17:19 #156189 by BeagleBrainz
wiki.debian.org/DebianWheezy

As, generally, most LCNC boxes aren't used as general use computers, ie: browsing, banking, buying stuff online or watching certain adult entertainment, lack of security updates isn't such an issue. Neither will your LCNC stop working, your milk go sour or the women in your tribe go barren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
31 Jan 2020 00:19 #156219 by ogogon
Replied by ogogon on topic Repository expired

Neither will your LCNC stop working, your milk go sour or the women in your tribe go barren.

I am impressed by your optimism. However, being a professional in this field, I am not ready to accept it.
I have already seen many times how at first everyone frivolously promises that milk will not turn sour, and then they run around the ceiling and shout something about Russian or Chinese hackers.

Is it really so difficult to port EMC2 into LTE's Debian branch? Are there any objective barriers?

Ogogon.

More
31 Jan 2020 01:22 #156222 by BeagleBrainz
If you are a professional in the field you should know that the first tenant of computer security is physical security.
If the computer is physically isolated (unable to have wifi connection, no LAN cable attached, no Bluetooth access) from a live network no remote hacking will occur.
If the Bad Guy is able to get physical access no amount of security updates and patches will stop him prevent him from gaining access or picking up the machine and walking out the door.
Currently the released isos are
1: Stretch has been released with a RT-PREEMT kernel
2: Wheezy has a RTAI kernel
The Linuxcnc application/suite can be installed on any distro you wish as long as the correct realtime kernel is installed and you are able to install all the required dependencies to build and run. I've done it myself on Slackware.
If you want security for your LCNC machine don't let it have access or be able to access a foreign network. Be sensible with whom and what can have access to your LCNC machine.

More
31 Jan 2020 12:40 #156245 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Repository expired

...... However, being a professional in this field, ........

What field is that ?
Linux is used in 99.9999% of the internet servers, they are on 24/7 and on public access. And i can bet my life half of them gets rarely updated, save for the automated ones, yet the incidents of actually hacking them is extreemely rare, most of the time due to said lack of updates or proper maintenace/setup.
Claiming Linux is unsafe for general purpose is uncaled for, it is and will be for the forseeable future the safest OS possible.
Refrain from installing stuff from unofficial repos, there is no way anything will happen to it, if you are not a huge coorporation with valuable info.
Hell, i click on viruses on purpose just to see if anything happens, no joy so far.

Time to create page: 0.414 seconds