Would it be possible...............

More
13 Mar 2020 23:50 #160104 by BeagleBrainz
Is there any chance that the BBB PRU driver from Machinekit could be port to Linuxcnc ?

I know there differences between MK and Linuxcnc, what they actually are seems to be a secret. But would anyone be willing to be a, say mentor (read someone to answer any questions). I'd like to get into the code a little bit more.

Cheers
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2020 00:29 #160106 by cmorley
I believe this was done once by Jeff Eppler for another developers project.
I think it was the beaglebone green IIRC
I don't remember if that included the PRU - but I would assume so.

You probably should ask on IRC or the mail list -Jeff doesn't follow the forum and is pretty sparse in IRC too.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
14 Mar 2020 02:06 - 14 Mar 2020 02:07 #160115 by alkabal
Hi

Linuxcnc can be compiled for ARM ?

Except that i come from 2 year machinekit with BBB + furaday cape (i like to sell this parts lol) and i'm now with Rpi4 + Mesa ethernet the difference is impressive impossible for me to come back BBB :dry: except some problem with unuptaded MK for some cncstuff, the BBB is really too slow comparing to Rpi4 and i does not speak about the video unperformance.

I hope to nobody angry but for a material opinion, i suggest you to forget the BBB. for software i let you with your own opinion.

Br
Last edit: 14 Mar 2020 02:07 by alkabal.

More
14 Mar 2020 02:38 #160116 by BeagleBrainz
Let's get ready for a good ol fashioned war....akin to Vim vs Emacs :evil:

Funny you should ask that considering you are using a Rpi 4........And Linucnc does have a BBB gpio driver....but haven't got around to trying to build yet. HIDComp compiled fine, I had to make an adjustment to one of the libs it linked against, but that really wasn't a huge issue, and that worked fine with MK on the BBB, even with the USB pendant I built using the LUFA USB Library.

I was previously running my 3 axis mill with my BBB. I designed a set 3 boards for I\O.....I managed to get 35 useful pins whilst keeping the HDMI. I have experience with it, I'm not part of the "Hipster\Maker" camp.
Honestly for the work I was doing I didn't have an issue with video. I liked the fact that the PRU was being used for step generation.

The reason I switched to a Linuxcnc & PC + MESA setup was that the Linuxcnc support is far greater and I wasn't really interested in the direction MK was heading.

I just have a little 3 axis router setup that rather than use GRBL I'd like to run "something proper" and have a little compact unit.

I also figured it'd be a good project for my son & I as he's doing a double degree at University in Physics & Mechatronics....... Yeah I am a little proud of the long haired Metal Head.

While it may not be up to the performance of an Rpi 4 neither is the RPi 4 up to the performance of a recent PC. The fact that both little boards can run a basic cnc machine is cool. But the the BBB can do it with a less expensive add on board.

More
14 Mar 2020 03:26 #160120 by alkabal
Sorry i does not want to open a fashioned war lool

I have not take attention taht you are a Gold Boarder and some very experimenting user.

You are right i have some big hole in my memories some time :pinch: you are off course right the Rpi 4 is also ARM, but for be honest at start i have understand that is impossible to use BBB with Linuxcnc and i does not investigate more and mix some misunderstanding, i appologize :blush: .

And yes you also right PRU encoder/step work very fine with BBB, the most problem is for me to be not satisfied with availbale GUI (especially with a lathe) and miss many cnc improvement from Linuxcnc like external offset.

I know Rpi is nothing compared to a real PC but i want to keep a compact setup with some good performance for user GUI experience and i'm really happy with this Rpi4.

I have at first ordered a BB AI but too much difficult for me to create the needed driver (need also to sell this board :lol: )

Very good project to work with your son, mine is too early for now and my more early daughter is more curious about my hobby.

More
14 Mar 2020 04:26 #160122 by BeagleBrainz
You're ok mate.

Once I get the BBB out I'll see if I can do a simple build of Linuxcnc. may have to give it a day or 2.

Anyways I have a soft spot for Beagles.....mine is curled up in a ball having Puppy Dreams.

More
17 Mar 2020 12:55 #160549 by andypugh

Is there any chance that the BBB PRU driver from Machinekit could be port to Linuxcnc ?

It would probably be quite easy, but if you want to use BBB_PRU why not use Machinekit?

More
17 Mar 2020 15:12 #160560 by BeagleBrainz
Honestly.....

Linuxcnc is a better all round project, IMHO.
Plus I tend like doing things the hard way. Like my GSXR powered Rola Door. My she rest in pieces.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
17 Mar 2020 16:08 #160573 by andypugh
Have you tried building LinuxCNC fron source? As hal_pru_generic is a HAL component there is a very good chance it will just work with LinuxCNC (possibly with a few files added to the Makefile so that it gets compiled)

I do have a BBB but I have never got as far as getting a realtime kernel on it, as far as I recall.

More
17 Mar 2020 19:18 #160582 by BeagleBrainz
Yep, couple of weeks ago I modified the Debian packaging to have the HTML docs go into a separate package. That’s what I include in the Mint respins.
I was under the impression the MK guys changed the some parts of how the various components communicate. Not having delved much into the code far I wasn’t sure what would work and what wouldn’t.
If I could just find the little thing now....

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds