Servo drivers and spindle

More
21 Apr 2020 14:09 #164963 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Servo drivers and spindle
If the drive supports step/dir mode (and you have a free step/dir output)
it seems like that would be the simplest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2020 19:07 - 21 Apr 2020 19:26 #164994 by Joco
Replied by Joco on topic Servo drivers and spindle
Thanks PCW. Yes it does have step/dir mode as well as the other 2 modes (Up/Down and the Quadsomething one).

I’m okay taking on a little complexity if it means Im going to get a better performing outcome. Part of the challenge is figuring out which the potential control paths will give the better performance on the servo motor in driving a spindle.

Appreciate any advice on that front or pointing me the info that can spell out the pros/cons of the different control paths available (step/dir, speed, torque).

Edit: i guess question is will step/dir give me the best performance or should I accept some complexity and pursue one of the other control paths as it will deliver better performance for the motor driving a spindle.

Cheers, James.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2020 19:26 by Joco.

More
22 Apr 2020 00:25 #165026 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Servo drivers and spindle
I would think the performance is mainly determined by the drive, not the interface method, so if it were my choice I would just use step/dir

On possible advantage of voltage interface is that you could run in torque
mode which though fussier to tune, would allow you to monitor the applied torque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joco

More
22 Apr 2020 06:18 - 22 Apr 2020 06:29 #165047 by Joco
Replied by Joco on topic Servo drivers and spindle
Thanks. Will run with the step/dir type model and see how things go.

I assume I will need to find the correct step on-time, Dir-Hold etc values? In the same way I would when setting up a real stepper driver? They should exist in the driver manual somewhere? Or is it a bit different when dealing with servos?
Last edit: 22 Apr 2020 06:29 by Joco.

More
22 Apr 2020 12:11 #165086 by tommylight

I assume I will need to find the correct step on-time, Dir-Hold etc values? In the same way I would when setting up a real stepper driver? They should exist in the driver manual somewhere? Or is it a bit different when dealing with servos?

The default settings should do just fine, but if they do not, it is very easy to change them in hal or ini.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joco

Time to create page: 0.625 seconds