Esab Ultrarex UXD-P2000 Upgrade Project

More
21 Jun 2020 09:50 #172226 by Esaber
Good news guys ! My friend the schematics book.
We are assembling the pieces today.
Will post some questions soon :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2020 17:16 - 21 Jun 2020 17:18 #172261 by Esaber

Gona be tougher, but it is doable, so:
- need to locate the drive control wires, fairly easy, should be 3 cables shielded and grounded at the control box
- need to locate 3 encoder cables, easy as they are fully shielded and grounded at the control box
- 3 sensor cables used as home and both limits for each axis
- e-stop loop wiring, again fairly easy as one e-stop is on the control panel
- drive enable wire, this is a bit tricky to find as it goes to the power control box, in my case it was wrong on the schematics
For the encoder cables, be sure to locate the + and - power wires, there are 8 wires for each encoder as they are differential ones. That can be easily done while they are still attached to the old electronics.

So we did a brainstorming session without the cable guy. We haven't touched anything yet.
We got all the pieces together. I installed linuxcnc on the mini-atx board. The relays are still missing.
We went through wiring without the schematics for the moment. I will scan the book and upload it here later.
We found some of the wires you talked about Tommy. We couldn't find others.

So questions:

You talked about a 'Control Box' then a 'Power Control Box'. I understand 'Control Box' means the NCE box where the two floppy drives are installed. And the 'Power Control Box' means the bigger one with all the wiring. Or is the control box the one behind the z motor? Are we keeping those control boards behind the motors and the one in the power box?
Now we were able to locate the e-stop, limit and home wires. The 8 encoder wires. but not the rest.
My friend is wondering what we will remain after the conversion.
We have 3 motors, each motor has a control board. Then there is the big wiring box then the NCE box. What are we keeping at the end?
In other words will we be rewiring wires at the NCE control box only or we will also taking wires directly from the power box. There are lots of wires in the control box.
Next is the mapping between those wires coming from the esab and the mesa/HTC/relay boards?

Here you go you wanted me to report all the confusion so here I am confused :-)
My friend is scanning the schematics book soon.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2020 17:18 by Esaber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
21 Jun 2020 18:07 #172267 by tommylight
Control box is the one with the monitor, power control box is on the gantry, the biggest box on the machine with some transformers and stuff and lots and lots of wiring connectors, the boxes attached to servo motors are servo drives, the boxes behind Z axis are for air/oxy/accet/nitro/ control depending on what features were installed on the machine.Only the ones behind Z axis and the one with the monitor/computer will not be used, the rest will be used.
Almost all of the wiring will be done in the control/monitor/computer box.
All of the encoder and limit switch wires/cables are shielded and are bolted to a piece of metal inside the computer box. There are also some wires/cables belonging to the Z axis stuff that had an RS232 control, those will not be used.
That is an open machine and can be moved by hand, so you can power it up, disable the drives or press e-stop, one of you guys should very slowly push it while another one of you is measuring signals on the wiring to find the encoder wires, there are 3 encoders there, 3 proximity switches are accessible at the end of the gantry on both sides and one on the Z axis and another used as floating switch should be inside the Z axis, there is another limit switch under the gantry (was on mine, not on the one form another user here).

More
24 Jun 2020 14:10 #172590 by Esaber
Haven't had the time to get back to you guys. I will put the schematics on my server and give the link to download.
We will start by wiring the motor.
I will upload the motor pics.

More
24 Jun 2020 16:02 - 24 Jun 2020 16:03 #172596 by Esaber
So we have this guy. Where do the wires coming from this guys go on the linuxcnc box? Suppose we follow them and get to them on the control box. Will they go directly from the motor to the linuxcnc controlbox or do they have to be picked up at the esab controlbox and then go from there to the linuxcnc box?
The new motor has 4 wires.

Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 16:03 by Esaber.

More
24 Jun 2020 16:44 #172601 by tommylight
That motor needs new wires from the linuxcnc box, also the sensor for floating head on the torch mount needs new wiring to the Linux box

More
24 Jun 2020 22:25 #172642 by Esaber
New wires from motor straight to the linuxcnc box, right?
We can discard the wires from the motor to the esab box , no wire reuse?
I will ask my friend to look for the floating head sensor.

More
24 Jun 2020 22:37 #172646 by tommylight
Yes, and you will use all the rest of the wires, just not for this one.

More
25 Jun 2020 09:46 - 25 Jun 2020 09:54 #172696 by Esaber
Good. We will prepare a diagram based on the esab schematics so that you can tell us to what destination pins the existing wires go on the linuxcnc.

I guess the floating head sensor wires go to the THC+10 board. Not sure though.
How do you wire the THC board to the mesa card?
What about the 1 Mega Ohm resistance?
Last edit: 25 Jun 2020 09:54 by Esaber.

More
25 Jun 2020 11:55 #172708 by tommylight

I guess the floating head sensor wires go to the THC+10 board. Not sure though.

No, they go to the Mesa 7i77 inputs.

How do you wire the THC board to the mesa card?

Same as an encoder, to the encoder inputs and power on the 7i77.

What about the 1 Mega Ohm resistance?

Those go inside the plasma source/cutter/transformer.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds