Esab Ultrarex UXD-P2000 Upgrade Project

More
20 Jul 2020 09:15 #175227 by Esaber
Great.
How do we go from here.
We have all esab side the wires.
Where does each wire go on the linuxcnc side?
My friend is going to draw a schematic for the esab side. I'll upload it so you can map those wires to the mesa/z-motor/encoder/thc boards.
What do you think? If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears :-)
And once again thanks for the precious help you're giving us here. We really appreciate it :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2020 10:45 #175239 by tommylight

- Mount the PC and Mesa boards, Install LinuxCNC,
- Connect only the power to the Mesa boards, +5V and +24V, use the existing 24V supply on the machine, nothing else,
- Make a config that roughly represents what is on the machine, check if the config works and the Mesa boards are visible and functional,
- Wire the E-stop switches to one of the inputs on the Mesa board, edit the config, make sure the e-stop works,
- Wire the machine enable to one of the outputs on the Mesa board, make sure it enables and disables the drives by pressing F2, beware that motors will move slowly or jump violently when enabled, the clicking of one or two relays on the main power box should be heard,
- Wire the encoders, one by one only, check the DRO on screen if the counting goes up and down by moving the motors by hand, no need to enable the drives for this, it should count even when e-stop is active. Repeat for all encoders, i think 2 in your machine,
- so i do not repeat, follow this tutorial to wire the servo inputs to the Mesa board:
forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configura...ning-detailed-how-to
Read the manuals for proper powering of Mesa boards, setting the jumpers on them, and input output pins. Beware that physical pin 1 on the Mesa connector is always input or output 00 in hal.

More
20 Jul 2020 14:27 #175257 by Esaber
Good. Showtime :-)
We will wait for the relays to come.
In the meanwhile my friend will pass the necessary wires from the sensors to the linux box.

More
21 Jul 2020 13:13 - 21 Jul 2020 13:14 #175332 by Esaber
We bought this PSU for the mini-atx board.
www.amazon.fr/Wood-L-commutateur-Aliment...sturdy/dp/B07VDM6XRP
We will have it connected to a battery in case power goes out. Will be safer for the linuxcnc box.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2020 13:14 by Esaber.

More
26 Jul 2020 09:02 #175871 by Esaber

- Connect only the power to the Mesa boards, +5V and +24V, use the existing 24V supply on the machine, nothing else,

By machine you mean the esab power supply?
This means getting 5v and 24v wires from the esab control box or from the power box.
I know the control box will go. I'm trying to understand if this step means starting to remove wires from the control box and wiring them to the linuxcnc boards.

More
26 Jul 2020 09:33 #175877 by tommylight
There is 24V in the control box so no need for wires, and use the PC USB for 5V, just cut a USB cable and wire it to the Mesa terminals.
Mind the polarity.

More
26 Jul 2020 15:29 - 26 Jul 2020 15:30 #175914 by Esaber
Good. I'll do that.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2020 15:30 by Esaber.

More
14 Nov 2020 17:21 #189350 by Esaber
Project has been put on hold.
We'll start working on it soon.

More
02 Feb 2021 16:52 #197449 by Esaber
Are you still around Tommy?

More
02 Feb 2021 16:54 #197450 by tommylight

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds