Esab Ultrarex UXD-P2000 Upgrade Project

More
04 Jun 2020 13:35 - 04 Jun 2020 13:39 #170096 by Esaber
What kind of power supply is required for this setup?
Would a computer PSU do the job?
Like I said I intend to put all the cards and the pc motherboard in the same box.
I will either use a standard pc psu or a small picopsu.
If I need additional power for the cards and the thcad I have to take that into account.

Mini-Box picoPSU-120 / 12 V-DC/DC-ATX

www.amazon.fr/Mini-Box-picoPSU-120-dalim...DC-ATX/dp/B005TWE3O8
Last edit: 04 Jun 2020 13:39 by Esaber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2020 20:21 #170127 by Esaber
My friend is asking what it would take to convert this machine to a laser cutting machine :-)

More
04 Jun 2020 23:06 #170163 by tommylight

My friend is asking what it would take to convert this machine to a laser cutting machine :-)

About 10 to 50K$, enormous amounts of coffee, some expensive counselling about a wasted life, 4 or 5 good working eyes, your kids not knowing who you are, etc !!! :)
The first 2 are mandatory, the rest is left to be seen after starting that project. :)
Kidding aside, it can be done, but i would not prefer it due to the added danger of very powerful invisible light beam (it is invisible, when cutting you see the result of that light, not the light), high voltages, etc etc.
Later on after you get some experience, oh hell yea!
You can add another Z axis to the machine and have the laser mounted on it, add another motor and a belt or rack and pinion and have two independent Z axis there that can be used side by side on the same run as PlasmaC can use multiple spindles/torches/scribes/pens, and the list goes on.
As for power supplies, there is no need for any, but to keep things simpler for you, you can add a 36 to 48V/ 3to 5A one for the Z axis drive. The machine has a 24V supply ( it does give 27V at all times in my case) that is plenty powerful for everything, even for the drive.

More
04 Jun 2020 23:42 #170177 by Esaber
We will stay in the plasma world then :-)
My friend did talk about adding another Z axis...
But let's first make this thing run with linuxcnc and then go wild with z axis craziness :-)
I think I will just get a small power supply for the mini-atx board and let the machine 24v power the drive like you say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Jun 2020 23:48 #170178 by rodw

But let's first make this thing run with linuxcnc and then go wild with z axis craziness :-)

Funny how you mention Z axis craziness. We are working on exactly that right now...
Attachments:

More
05 Jun 2020 07:11 #170208 by Esaber
Don't drag me into it :-)
Interesting ! Please give us more details when you're done.
My friend is already talking about a second Z axis !

More
05 Jun 2020 07:11 #170209 by Esaber
We are ordering the parts today by the way.

More
06 Jun 2020 22:10 #170415 by Esaber
Parts ordered :-)

More
07 Jun 2020 19:04 #170514 by Esaber
Hope you had a great weekend guys :-)
How do we go about the upgrade?
I'll be getting the parts next week and trying to figure out things with my friend and his electrician cousin.
Esab asked for the serial number of the machine to go further. If we're lucky they might provide the schematics next week too. Do you have a backup plan Tommy ? :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Jun 2020 19:37 #170520 by tommylight

Do you have a backup plan Tommy ? :-)

A backup plan for the backup plan ? :)
You mean without the schematics ? That will take a lot of time and nerves, but it is doable.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds