Best Mesa Cards/ Combo for DELTA ASD-A2 drive/motor

More
01 Jul 2020 00:16 - 01 Jul 2020 00:17 #173265 by Bandar
Thanks ihavenofish and Toommy.

Don't worry about the 4080 extrusions I have many of those to connect together. I will use resin inside of them or fill it with sand or cement. It will get sturdy. Otherwise, I will use my rusty welding skill and build a new frame out of steel tubes.

Just for clarification. When you said, "you need to connect the encoder PASS THROUGH from the drive to the mesa board," How this is gonna happen? There is an encoder output pins in the I/O CN1 in delta drive, is it through those pins? Or from the 2nd encoder CN5 to 7i77?

Can I use my 2nd encoder input TO CONNECT my linear scale direclty to the drive instead of connecting it to Mesa 7i77 or 7i76e? Or do I have to get 7i85s? Because that 2nd encoder in the Delta drive is solely for linear scale... I don't get it. :)

Regards,
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 00:17 by Bandar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2020 06:00 #173292 by ihavenofish
cn1 is the pass through. cn5 is an encoder input, for an encoder that isn't on the motor - like a linear scale, or if you are deviating from the standard delta motors.

More
01 Jul 2020 17:52 - 01 Jul 2020 17:55 #173327 by Bandar
Thanks ihavenofish...

Now I got it. :)

So, the advantage of A2 Delta drive is that it has 2nd encoder for LINEAR SCALE like HEIDENHAIN or rls.

I have checked the B3 Delta and you completely right, they have a really fast response bandwidth and a 23bit except it doesn't have a 2nd encoder like the A2. Moreover, I got a quotation for the B3 and they are cheaper than the A2.. Also, I'm looking at the A3 series and they look awesome, but I don't know how much it cost yet.

The B3 is now on the table to be considered :)

Edit: Which motor should I consider the 1)High inertia 2)medium inertia 3) low inertia ?
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 17:55 by Bandar.

More
02 Jul 2020 00:01 #173366 by ihavenofish
"generaly" (there are exceptions) machine tools get medium and high inertia motors because they deal with vibrational loads.

The standard b3 motor you'll find on ebay as a kit is the medium inertia.

A3 is slightly more money than the A2, and you probably gain nothing over B3, because you are using it in a "dumb" application. most of the A3 fancy features are for when you need the drive to do more thinking.

On the lack of linear scale on the B3 - you wouldn't not want that scale going to the drive anyway, youd want it going directly to the control. its only really useful in the drive when it is commanded by position directly (as in, go to x5.345, and not a step by step command).

More
05 Jul 2020 01:38 - 05 Jul 2020 21:55 #173642 by Bandar
Hi ihavenofish,

First, thanks for helping me a lot.

Secondly, there is one thing I still want to figure out about the encoder types for B3. There are like 4 types of encoders which one is better (OR the most accurate)?
A: 24-bit absolute magnetic optical encoder (resolution of single turn: 24-bit; multiple turns:
16-bit)
2: 24-bit incremental magnetic optical encoder (single-turn absolute)

I know absolute encoders have memory box that saves the location when power cycles, but not sure which one of these encoder is the more accurate.

Regards
Last edit: 05 Jul 2020 21:55 by Bandar.

More
06 Jul 2020 00:49 #173703 by ihavenofish
Absolute will be useless to you. They are meant for serial drives - like ethercat and dmcnet.

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds