Getting Toshiba VF-S11 VFD to communicate over cheap RS485 to USB dongle

More
18 Jul 2020 10:02 #175027 by denhen89
Hello,
first of all, i am sorry for creating the 3. thread within a short time, but i think its better to ask that in a new thread than in this one:
Toshiba VF-S11 VFD for Lathe Spindle - Problems with setup/wiring to 7i76e

Before my Mesa 7i76e out put driver burned out (yesterday) i got my VFD to work (almost properly) with the help of PCW.
I would need to scale the 0-10V analog signal in Linuxcnc to get the correct RPM, but i know from my CNC Router (with Huanyang VFD) that the MODBUS communication/control might be the best way to control a spindle, or at least i did not need to do any scaling and it works perfectly.

In the thread "Toshiba VF-S11 VFD for Lathe Spindle - Problems with setup/wiring to 7i76e" Thread, i wrote that i think i need the "Toshiba USB-to-Serial Conversion Unit (model: USB001Z)" to control the vfd via modbus, so i thought i will just use the 0-10V analog communication .
That conversion unit costs about 110€, which is a lot more than the cheap RS485 to USB dongles, which are working well, so i started to look for a solution.
I found a interesing discussion which is difficult to read due to strange forum format : Sourceforge [Emc-users] VFS-11 modbus driver
Actually i dont understand much, just that that i might be possible to control the vfd with a cheaper dongle than the original USB-to-Serial Conversion Unit.

Could please anyone tell me if its possible? I really tried to find it out by my self, but its not that easy for someone with not much knowledge about those things.

I found also some RJ45 and RS232 connection diagrams from the VFD:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/uploads/VFS11-RJ45_e.pdf
static.mah.priv.at/cnc/vfs11-rs232.pdf

If it would be possible to get to know who wrote the Linux Toshiba VF-S11 driver (linuxcnc.org/docs/html/drivers/vfs11.html), then i would really like to contact that person. Maybe he/she can give me some informations.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2020 13:29 #176506 by andypugh
There are author names in the source code:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...fs11_vfd/vfs11_vfd.c

Sample files are at the same place
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/master...user_comps/vfs11_vfd

I would say that you have nothing to lose by trying one of the cheap USB dongles. Alternatively, does your PC have any real RS232 or RS485 ports?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds