Odd mesa 5i25 stuttering

More
30 Sep 2020 22:53 #184434 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Odd mesa 5i25 stuttering

The machine has been running fine for 1 year with linuxcnc and a mesa 5i25 without any adapter board. Because i finally want to mount limit switches, i created a suitable bitfile for the mesa card and also set up the computer fresh.

It seems likely that you changed more than you wanted to change.

What did you change? are you still running the same OS and kernel as was working before, or has your new setup changed these?

What does "uname -a" at the command prompt say?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2020 19:52 #184508 by electron
Replied by electron on topic Odd mesa 5i25 stuttering
Thank you all for your input!

Looks like there are some relatively huge latency spikes
when LinuxCNC is running. Did you run a latency test?

I did one about a Year ago when I was building the system for the first time. It was not too bad...
I've now run one and it is waaay worse... Attached a new plot.

Possible work-arounds if you cannot fix the host latency issues are:

1. Make the maxerror smaller so the maximum velocity modulation
range due to latency is reduced (if you go too small the PID loop will lose
control since it will not have enough range to correct for LinuxCNC <->
5I25 timebase differences)

2. Make a bitfile with the DPLL module and use it to re-time the stepgen
position sampling.

3. Lower the servo thread rate to 500Hz or so

Thanks for that new input! I'll look into these options next!

Are you seeing this while jogging with the keyboard?
As a test try jogging clicking the on screen buttons with a mouse instead of the keyboard keys.
Test using MDI move commands.
Does it still do this when moving with those ways?

Interestingly it does work great with MDI Commands! Haven't thought about that test yet, thanks! After that I've immediately tested the keyboard if it might output faulty stuff, but it does seem to be okay. (It's also the same one used back then)

What did you change? are you still running the same OS and kernel as was working before, or has your new setup changed these?
What does "uname -a" at the command prompt say?

I was running a Debian 9 (Stretch) install with RT Kernel. I've now switched to Buster + RT Kernel.
Here my current Kernel config:
Linux cnc-pc 4.19.0-11-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.19.146-1 (2020-09-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Attachments:

More
02 Oct 2020 13:38 #184573 by Todd Zuercher
I recall seeing some other discussions of people suffering the same issue, either on the forum or the e-mail list. But I don't recall what their solution was. It may have been using a different keyboard PS2 instead of USB, or corded instead of wireless, or some other problem somewhere relating to the keyboard (electrical noise.) I wonder if the Preempt-RT kernel is more prone to these kinds of problems?

More
More
04 Oct 2020 21:52 #184878 by electron
Replied by electron on topic Odd mesa 5i25 stuttering
Thanks again for all the replys!
I've tried a few things mentioned but only got slightly better results. I then comitted to a fresh Install, which fixed all the issues with latency. I really don't know what could have caused this but it might have been a kernel module that I didn't install for my wireless interface this time. Even the new bitfile and configuration made with pncconf are now working as they should.

So, thanks everyone for your help! I got a lot of good input from you and it might help someone else who encounters the latency issues.

Stefan
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds