How to wire 5v end stops into 7i77 input

More
16 Oct 2020 22:36 #186328 by Chungus
hello everyone, I am working on a hurco km3 retrofit and am having trouble figuring out the end stock switches. I have found the wires that are an active +5v normally and when tripped go to 0v. But when looking through the 7i77 documents it looks like the field power sets the threshold for the inputs. So am I correct to think that to get the mesa card to register the end stop input it would need to read a high signal something like +14v? And it looks like to read a low it needs to be something like +8v but not zero? If this is correct how do I wire that up? I did get a pack of opto isolators thinking I will have to use those. I will add a video of what I am working on hopefully shedding some light on what I am trying to do and the problems I am having.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I am figuring this all out as I go. Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2020 22:47 #186329 by rootboy
According to the blurb on the store page:

"Inputs can sense 5V to 32V signals and the outputs can switch 5V through 28V signals. Maximum output load is 300 mA."

store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...oduct&product_id=120

You should be good to go.

More
16 Oct 2020 23:00 #186331 by Chungus
I saw that too but I don't think its working because my field voltage is +24v. If I was using a lower field voltage like +12v then a 5v signal would suffice. I also have tried to hook up directly the 5v to the input but the built in 20k ohm resistor pulls it down to 4.5v.

This is copy and pasted out of the manual for the 7i77.

The 7I77 field inputs have a nominal input resistance of 20K Ohms to field power
ground. 7I77 inputs sense positive input voltages above a preset threshold. For best
general purpose use, default input threshold is 50% of the field power supply voltage with
10% hysteresis. That is with a 24V field voltage an input must be brought to 60% of 24V
= 14.4V to be sensed as high and then brought to 40% of 24V = 9.6V to be sensed as low.
These accurate thresholds and hysteresis allow high speed field signal detection while
maintaining excellent noise immunity.

More
17 Oct 2020 03:12 #186342 by PCW
Are the end stops mechanical switches or proximity switches?
If they are mechanical, it might be easier to just re-wire them
If they are proximity switches, do you have a part number?

More
17 Oct 2020 13:15 #186354 by Chungus
They are mechanical for the z axis and proximity for the x and y axis. I will go take the cover plate off one of them later today and see if I can get a part number. I was hoping to keep the wiring in place though because it feeds through the drives so when you hit a limit on one of the axis it stops the drive itself from moving in that direction anymore. So as it sits the switches are doing their job but I need the feedback into my Mesa card so I can home the machine with the switches.

More
17 Oct 2020 13:20 #186355 by Mike_Eitel
If i understand correct the moment you hit the switch the motor is disengaged. How do you expect lcnc be capable to move the motor back to make homing cycle?

More
17 Oct 2020 13:30 #186358 by Chungus
Yes but the motor is only disengaged in that direction. So let’s say it’s homing in the x+ direction when it hits the switch it only allows x- travel so you can’t further over travel the machine

More
17 Oct 2020 13:58 #186360 by Mike_Eitel
That is what i partialy expected. But that also means that you have some kind of 'intelligence' between your driver and lcnc. Is that without further conflicts? Does it beside of that reacts stupid simple on step/dir signaling?
Mike

More
17 Oct 2020 14:34 #186361 by PCW
As Mike_Eitel mentioned you may have LinuxCNC's and the drives homing system fighting
(you lose full closed loop motion control as soon as you hit the limit since full control requires drive in both directions during decelerarion)

That said, if you have any free encoder inputs, these can be used for 5V signal sensing
if set into TTL mode.

More
17 Oct 2020 14:40 #186362 by Chungus
The only connection between my driver and lcnc I have is the analog signal to the driver to give velocity/direction. Here is a link to the driver pdf that I have.

www.scribd.com/document/52328054/Electro...e-Instruction-Manual

So I have no conflicts with lcnc communicating with the driver.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds