How to wire 5v end stops into 7i77 input

More
17 Oct 2020 14:45 #186363 by Chungus
PCW that makes sense. I will play around with it today and see if I can get that to work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2020 14:50 #186364 by PCW
You do have a conflict, because with a velocity mode servo, LinuxCNC
expects to control deceleration after the limit switch is hit, but if velocity
commands in the direction of the limits are disabled after the limit is hit
linuxCNC not longer has this control and the axis will simply coast to a stop

More
17 Oct 2020 15:21 #186365 by Mike_Eitel
Did short reading of the doc. Did not see that "safety" input. Seems you have something additional somewhere ä.
Mike

More
17 Oct 2020 15:42 #186368 by Chungus
PCW so do you think I would just be better off not using the function on the drives that disabled the motion when it hits a stop? Instead just allowing lcnc to handle the end stops?

More
17 Oct 2020 16:03 #186370 by Aciera
These switches are a safety feature of your machine. It protects against hitting the physical ends of your axis.
How did the machine orginaly find its home position? Maybe there are separate homing switches or it might be worth to install them?

More
17 Oct 2020 16:34 #186372 by Chungus
okay maybe I should have posted this image earlier. I hope this clears things up a little. its already using optos to control the signals that the servo drive uses.

So if we look at just one axis say the x axis this is what the terminals are doing.

1= 5v input from one end stop that is also tied into what the controller used to see as the input for the end stop.

2= 15v (supplied from the drive) this goes to zero when it his x+ stop stopping the drive from moving in x+

3= servo drive negative lead (labeled common on the drive)

4= 5v input from other end stop that is also tied to a wire that the old control used to sense the stop

5= 15v (supplied from the drive) this goes to zero when it hits x- stop stopping the drive from moving in x-

so basically the end stops are normally 5v which in turn keeps the opto closed completing the circuit on the drive giving it 15v. That same 5v signal was also being sent to the old control telling it was ok. when it his a stop then the 5v goes to zero telling the control its at a stop and at the same time killing power to the drive in that direction. As pcw pointed out this is a problem because lcnc still needs to power the drive for deceleration when it hits a stop so I don't get a following error. So as of right now I don't see a way to keep the circuit that kills the drive motion when it hits a stop. (I would like to because I think its a good safety feature but I don't see how it could work)
Attachments:

More
17 Oct 2020 17:28 #186374 by Mike_Eitel
Use different switches for safety stop and homing.
And do not overlook that switching of supply, especially with dc motors is not the fastest way to prevent mechanical damage. You always, all motor types, should try to command a controlled stop with mechanical save deceleration.
Mike

More
18 Oct 2020 21:01 #186512 by Chungus
So maybe a dumb question again... but I think I have this all figured out. The switch is acting like I want it to and I’m using a 24v signal and lcnc can see it. But when I launch lcnc and try to power the servos it gives me a joint 0 on limit switch error. I think this is because my switch is normally closed. When I was configuring in pnc wizard I checked the box to invert the input. I also checked my Hal file and the input looks like this

Net max-home-x <= hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.input-01-not

So the “not” at the end should be inverting it? I don’t understand why I’m getting an error still

More
19 Oct 2020 00:41 #186534 by PCW
You can watch the pin with halshow to see if it behaves as expected
(it should be false until the switch is activated)

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds