Parport killed my PC??

More
04 Sep 2021 00:51 #219566 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Parport killed my PC??

Personally i think using the gnd naming for everything is really bad, as can be seen here, it should be called a 0 (zero) or common.

+1
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2021 01:19 #219567 by Aaroncnc
Replied by Aaroncnc on topic Parport killed my PC??
Andy,
Second worse?
What's worse usb?

More
04 Sep 2021 04:20 #219573 by iforce2d
Replied by iforce2d on topic Parport killed my PC??
Yeah I know there are better options, but I'm in the middle of spending so much money on the machine itself I'd like to stem the bleeding a bit. For $20 a parport will get me up and running in the short term while I gain some experience with linuxcnc in general. I also don't envisage needing any more IO than the parport provides, but I guess time will tell.

More
08 Sep 2021 17:27 #219980 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Parport killed my PC??

Andy,
Second worse?
What's worse usb?

There is a driver to use the handshaking lines of the serial port for 3(?) IO points. 

More
09 Sep 2021 07:11 #220042 by iforce2d
Replied by iforce2d on topic Parport killed my PC??
Ok, sorry again. The parallel cable finally arrived (an actual parallel now, not null modem). I plugged it all together and everything works ok. Motors are motoring, limit sensors are sensoring and my smile is back :)

I'm not sure why I couldn't get anything on my scope when I was poking around the parport pins directly on the back of the PC earlier. I was looking for spindle speed PWM which was showing about 50% duty on HALscope. I spent a good ten minutes at it, and I had successfully seen signals on a previous attempt the week before...

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds