mb2hal: trying to control a Siemens Sinamics V20 VFD

More
04 Oct 2021 20:36 #222215 by flawapawacrew
Good News Everyone! (that's your Futurama quote for the day...)

I finally managed to reliably and correctly control the VFD! It did take some control word, bitwise fun using wsum, but it works flawlessly in the end. Some (slightly hidden) parameters from the VFD needed tweaking.

In general mb2hal works like a charm once you have the correct register addresses.

Thank you everyone for the help!

Also, is there a repo or something where I could contribute my ini and hal files in case anyone wants to do the same with their Sinamics VFD?

Cheers,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2021 13:02 #222276 by Todd Zuercher
You could post them as attachments here in this thread.

More
27 Nov 2021 21:34 #227778 by idea
hI i have the same VFD and looking to setup control. It would be really helpful if you could share your file.

Thanks,

More
03 Aug 2022 09:47 - 03 Aug 2022 10:16 #248912 by flawapawacrew
Hello,

I am really sorry I only see your comment now. You probably have figured it out by now, but I'll upload a copy of the file ASAP.

The configuration mostly works. I just have an isse when closing linuxcnc, the drive goes into a F72 error, which is the watchdog detecting a loss of communication. I could set parameter P2014 to 0 to disable the watchdog, but I would prefer to have that safety. I will look into something to clear the error via modbus at startup.

I have not been able to work on the machine for the past 6 months, but I will update you.

Cheers
Last edit: 03 Aug 2022 10:16 by flawapawacrew.

More
05 Aug 2022 10:09 - 05 Aug 2022 11:40 #249107 by flawapawacrew
Hello,

attached is my config for the Sinamics V20 VFD. With this config and hal file, you should be able to control the speed of the spindle, and get some feedback of actual speed, current and power.

One thing to note for mb2hal is that the ini file has 32 character lines. If you use the /dev/serial/by-id/* path for your serial converter, the path will most likely be truncated and you will fail to communicate. This took me quite some time to figure out.

Note also that when you close linuxcnc, the drive's watchdog, not seeing any more modbus messages, will put the VFD in error state. Currently you have to clear the error state manually on the VFD pannel before restarting linuxcnc. I am looking into a solution using modbus "Fault acknowledge" (40007), but I cannot work with the machine currently.

Please ask questions and PM me if I do not answer :)

Cheers!
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Aug 2022 11:40 by flawapawacrew.

More
14 Sep 2022 12:30 #251893 by flawapawacrew
Hello,

for the sake of completeness, here is my latest config. It uses bit 7 of STW with an "edge" component on the machine-is-enabled signal for fault acknowledgement. It clears any fault on the drive when the machine-is-enabled signal passes from 0 to 1.

Note also that an update in mb2hal changed the pin names from mb2hal.XX.00 to mb2hal.XX.00.float or mb2hal.XX.00.int.

This config is now fully functional on my machine.

Cheers,

flawa
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, smc.collins, mh300

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds