CNC Lathe

More
08 Sep 2021 10:52 #219923 by backyardengineer
CNC Lathe was created by backyardengineer
Hi, 
im new to this forum, so a short introduction: My name is Marc, i am a mechanical engineering student from germany and as a hobby i am involved in all sorts of machining, 3d printing electrical work etc. I guess the cool kids would call it "making". I would now like to convert my freshly rebuilt Lathe to (Linux) CNC. However i am a bit overwhelmed by the hardware choices, maybe you can give some advice. What i am planning to do:
- Close loop with stepper motors and linear scales on z and x
- 2 hand wheel encoders for semi-manual operation + spindle encoder
- I have a VFD for the spindle (danfoss)
- one extra stepper for the spindle -> normally not connected to the spindle, if i want to do very precise spindle positioning
- Old pc and touch screen for the control
- some manual programmable switches would be nice
My main concerns are:
- spindle encoder -> should be high resolution for threading/positioning. How would this perform at high rpms ? would it make sense to use two encoders, a crude one for high rpm and the fine one for positioning ? 
- Interfacing of the glass scales ( i have some electronics experience, so getting a pulse signal out of them should not be the problem)

It would be nice to keep it somewhat cheap eg. keep the encoders in a range where i don´t need extra interfaces to read them out etc.
My guess would be simple stepper drivers (DM556 ?) + some sort of breakout board <- here i don´t know what to pick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2021 10:53 #219924 by backyardengineer
Replied by backyardengineer on topic CNC Lathe
PS: with close loop i mean between the stepper and the glass scales, not within the stepper

More
08 Sep 2021 13:03 #219939 by AlekseySP
Replied by AlekseySP on topic CNC Lathe
Hi Marc! I would recommend you to use MESA 7i76e, and skip linear scales. You can add them later. One encoder for spindle will be fine. If you are going to use mesa card, high resolution encoder will be fine 400-2000ppr.

More
08 Sep 2021 13:46 #219945 by backyardengineer
Thanks for the recommendation. The close loop with the glass scales is a must for the precision i want to achieve, speed, or fast rapids is not really important for me. wouldn´t a 2000ppr give a 6Mhz signal at 3000rpm, can the card handle that? Also the mesa 7i76e seems quite expensive, not sure i neet that many inputs, also i only need 2 axis (3 withs spindle stepper)

More
08 Sep 2021 14:07 #219948 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic CNC Lathe
Note that the 7i76e has only one highspeed encoder input and two low resolution MPG inputs. Since you need more encoder inputs you would need to add a 7i85, 7i85S or 7i89 to the 7i76e. I use a 7i85 with a 7i76e for my mill with steppers and glass scale feedback.
As for the maximum pulse frequency you might want to wait for PCW (mesa) to answer that.

More
08 Sep 2021 14:39 #219955 by AlekseySP
Replied by AlekseySP on topic CNC Lathe
Sorry for wrong information, I had servo motor with 2500ppr running on 3000rpm, but i used electronic gear reduction 1/8.

More
08 Sep 2021 15:28 #219962 by backyardengineer
How well do those parallel port breakout boards work? I guess the sample rate would be much lower than the mesa boards but maybe good enough for ->low speed high resolution ->high speed low resolution ? is such a configuration possible in linux cnc? From what i read online the parallel ports solution seems to be harder to work with. I wouldn´t mind some extra efford as i have more time than money right now, but if it would be a nightmare i am ready to spend some more money.

More
08 Sep 2021 15:42 #219964 by tommylight

More
08 Sep 2021 15:57 #219968 by backyardengineer
Damn those specifications do look tasty. I would need to expand my budget quite a bit. Would there be any advantages (except beeing plug and play) performance wise? I mean the most demanding things i plan to do is cutting tapers or threads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
08 Sep 2021 23:28 #220016 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic CNC Lathe
Yes they do! :)
Not aware of other advantages in performance.
As for budget, you can do a lot of things with just an old PC with parallel port and have a lot of fun doing it, then pushing things further and further and more joy will be there for sure ... till you start bumping into parallel port limitations and the spaghetti mess on table/in box from all the wiring !
You can skip all the painful limiting stuff a go for a Mesa so you can later bump into other limitations with other stuff ! :)
Budget wise, maybe it is better to get a 7i92M now and a cheap BOB, or 7i96, or a 7i76E, or later add a 7i76 to that 7i92 (no cable required for the M version) and later add a 7i85 some letter here for the encoder version.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds