CNC Lathe

More
09 Sep 2021 09:24 #220044 by backyardengineer
Replied by backyardengineer on topic CNC Lathe
Thanks again for the advice, starting with the parallel port doesn´t sound so bad afterall. After years of tinkering with arduino i am used to spending hours troubleshooting chinese eleactronics lol. As for the spindle encoder, can Linuxcnc do this switch (from precise positioning to tachometer/rough positioning) at a given rpm? -> so the parallel port can keep up ? If not, a Mesa card would make a lot of sense

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2021 20:40 #221913 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic CNC Lathe

Thanks again for the advice, starting with the parallel port doesn´t sound so bad afterall.

There is a lot to recommend starting there.

As for the spindle encoder, can Linuxcnc do this switch (from precise positioning to tachometer/rough positioning) at a given rpm? -> so the parallel port can keep up ? If not, a Mesa card would make a lot of sense

You could just let it lose position at higher speeds. I had a lathe that worked that way (parport).
It re-synchs to the index at the start of each threading pass, so it's not a huge problem.

I recently added missing-tooth index to the encoder counter, so you can do position and index with a single parport pin. (For your stepper-positioner I think you would need to work open-loop, though)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds