(Solved?) Feed override encoder reset

More
10 Oct 2021 05:18 #222710 by spumco
I didn't do anything directly in code - although I'm not sure exactly what "directly in code" means.  I wasn't using QT Designer, if that's what you're referring to.

Sounds like I didn't make my point clearly.  My particular method of skinning this cat was only possible because of the qtpyvcp post-gui pins.

In my situation this works fine, and should also work for the OP or anyone else using PB.  But not, as you pointed out, anyone not using PB.

I was, perhaps clumsily, echoing your suggestion that an override reset pin would be a nice addition to 'standard' LCNC functions and not limited to the rather specific PB circumstances.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2021 05:35 #222711 by Joco
The override reset pins were added to the framework to solve the "problem" encountered here.  While a UI could expose such HAL pins through utilising the qtpyvcp's framework API it is much cleaner to have it as a plug-in that can be enabled by a UI or a user as needed.

If this functionality was added to HALUI in the future then these pins would become redundant.

Equalliy, this plugin does provide a home for any hal pin capabilities that people feel should be exposed at the framework level for anyone to use.

Cheers - James.

More
10 Oct 2021 05:39 #222712 by cmorley
Oh you mean qtpyvcp already supplies the pin to reset the overrides?

More
10 Oct 2021 17:39 #222779 by Joco
cmorley - yes.   There is a plug-in that needs to be enabled in either a UIs yaml config or the user can enable it by creating their own custom_config yaml file. 

In the “data_plugins” section add:
hal:
    provider: qtpyvcp.plugins.exported_hal:ExportedHal

More
10 Oct 2021 18:15 #222785 by cmorley
Ok that makes sense now :)

More
12 Oct 2021 22:34 #222981 by andypugh
I would support this as a new halui pin.

FWIW Axis has this as a GUI action when you press the zero key.

More
13 Jul 2022 02:06 #247202 by tightmopedman9
I'm having trouble setting up overrides as described in this topic. I'm getting an error that the pin(s) qtpyvcp.feed-override.reset and qtpyvcp.speed-override.reset don't exist. I've put nets to the signals in the custom_post_gui.hal and I have checked in halmeter that the aforementioned pins exist.

This is the relevant error code:
[qtpyvcp.app.launcher][[36mINFO[0m]  Loading POSTGUI_HALFILE: /home/aaron/linuxcnc/configs/PNCCONF-Probe Basic/postgui_call_list.hal (launcher.py:96)
custom_postgui.hal:5: Pin 'qtpyvcp.speed-override.reset' does not exist
Failed to load POSTGUI_HALFILE with error: 1

These are the lines in HAL:
net     feed-override-reset     qtpyvcp.feed-override.reset
net     speed-override-reset     qtpyvcp.speed-override.reset

More
13 Jul 2022 02:32 #247205 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Feed override encoder reset
The problem is probably in your custom_config.yml file.

For the qtpyvcp-specific pins to be available in HAL, you have to edit the .yml file.  Open your file (its just a text file) and make sure you have the following:
windows:
  mainwindow:
    kwargs:
      confirm_exit: false

data_plugins:
  tooltable:
    provider: qtpyvcp.plugins.tool_table:ToolTable
    kwargs:
        columns: TPZDR

exportedhal:
    provider: qtpyvcp.plugins.exported_hal:ExportedHal

Specifically, the "exportedhal:..." stuff is what causes the qtpyvcp pins to become available, which you can then refer to and connect in a post_gui hal file.

Save the custom config with the exportedhal stuff and have another go.  Betcha all the cool spindle-load and FRO/RRO stuff shows up - you can verify in halshow under pins => qtpyvcp

Bonus: the "columns: TPZDR" line above it will change how the tool table appears in PB.  "T" is tool number, "P" is pockets, "Z" is Z-offset.  You can add/remove any of the columns by adjusting that little line.  It doesn't change the actual table, just what's displayed in PB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Jul 2022 01:04 #247270 by tightmopedman9
Thanks for the advice, but I added the exported hal line into my custom_config.yml before implementing this code. As I said in my last post, I can see that the pins exist when I open halmeter/halshow.

Is there any possibility that my custom_postgui.hal is getting loaded before the pins are created? I can see the probe basic header bar pop up for just a second before closing and displaying the error. I attached the full text of the error in a text attachment to this post. 
Attachments:

More
14 Jul 2022 01:11 - 14 Jul 2022 01:22 #247271 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Feed override encoder reset
Sorry, completely overlooked the part where indicated you'd done the .yml and could see them in halshow.

That's a new one on me.  The only thing I can think of - besides the file load timing as you pointed out - is a pin name spelling error.  But those look good to me, too.

Probably want to move this to qtpyvcp forum and see if the devs have some thoughts on it.

EDIT - just noticed something.  Your feed override IS loading, but the speed override isn't.  Try changing the pin name to: qtpyvcp.spindle-override.reset and see if that helps.

Last edit: 14 Jul 2022 01:22 by spumco. Reason: Ah-HA!

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds