Probe tripped during non-probe move

More
13 Jan 2022 21:35 #231710 by spangledboy
I fairly recently upgraded to v2.8.2 and I use Gmoccapy with a tool length sensor which uses the probe pin to measure tool length.

I've recently noticed that the probe pin now appears to be monitored at all times, so if my mill vibrates a bit too much, it stops the machine with the "Probe tripped during non-probe move" message - in fact this evening it even triggered it during the too length measuring process. This seems to be happening a lot, making it difficult to machine anything. I assume that this is a feature of the newer release as this never used to happen on the older version.

Is there some way to disable this monitoring of the probe pin? I'm sure it's valuable when using a probe, but for tool length measurement I only want the machine to pay attention to it when measuring a tool.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2022 07:57 #231869 by tommylight
There are ways of disabling it and having it enabled only during probing, but it is better to find why it is triggering, and that would most probably be interference.
First thing is to use a shielded cable for the probe and attach the shield to ground only on the electronics side.
Also using ferite beads on spindle motor wires helps a lot.

More
16 Jan 2022 11:06 #232003 by spangledboy
I know why it's tripping - it's due to the vibration/movement of the mill when it starts off, as the tool length measurement device (actually a re-purposed probe) is mounted on the table.

I suspect that the contacts may need cleaning in the probe, as it's been reliable for several years on the previous LinuxCNC release, so if the previous releases also checked for the probe being tripped, it may just be a coincidence that this started following the recent software upgrade.

More
17 Jan 2022 13:49 #232118 by spangledboy
I think I've resolved the issue now - I had another probe available which takes a deal more force to trigger, so I made up a mount for that and tested it with a positive outcome.

No unwanted probe trips yesterday and it triggers repeatably to within 0.01mm.

More
17 Jan 2022 15:12 #232126 by tommylight
The following user(s) said Thank You: spangledboy

More
09 Feb 2022 02:24 #234371 by natholego11
Tommy,
you mentioned there are ways to disable the probe and only have it on during probing moves.

I have one of these: link

and ive noticed a similar condition as explained above.  when I do manual movements on the machine (just facing parts off and what not) and there is excessive chatter or the feeds/speeds are not perfect. I get the same error message.

Is there a way to switch off the probe pin until its only running a probe macro? 

More
09 Feb 2022 13:24 #234393 by tommylight
In hal add an AND component and wire it so the output is only active while the probe is on.

More
09 Feb 2022 21:36 #234432 by natholego11
haha, i am not following you at all. the probe is wired into my 7i96 I dont have any kind of intermediate switch that turns the probe on or off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
09 Feb 2022 23:06 #234441 by tommylight
I think i did say in .hal, wiring stuff is also done in hal for LinuxCNC.
Leme see if i can find it, i am sure there is another topic here on this forum with the same subject...

More
16 Feb 2022 15:13 #235044 by natholego11
Any luck finding it?

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds