Vitual and Master Slave Axes

More
15 Nov 2022 15:23 #256776 by RetroFitter
Are there ways to configure virtual and master-slave axes in Linuxcnc, for multiple motor arrangements?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2022 17:27 #256787 by tommylight
What exactly?
Ethercat has Masters and Slaves.
LinuxCNC does not have that, it can have any of the 9 axis with one or more joints for each.
Plenty of us use 2 joints for a single axis.

More
15 Nov 2022 23:43 #256814 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Vitual and Master Slave Axes
LinuxCNC supports 9 cartesian axes and 16 "Joints" (individual actuators)
though the joint limit is build-time configurable.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, RetroFitter

More
16 Nov 2022 00:10 #256820 by tommylight
I vaguely recall Mach3 naming them master slave for the same axis with two motors, maybe that is what the OP is asking, although he should have given more info.
Like, for what motor arrangements?
LinuxCNC can have joints that home and can be controlled while not being attached to an axis.
Then again i might be wrong on this last one, i remember reading something in those lines here a while back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RetroFitter

More
16 Nov 2022 13:12 #256855 by RetroFitter
tommylight, I guess that's what I was looking for, can I have an axis that can be homed and controlled while not being attached to an axis, but then slaved to control another axis at the time it's needed in the cnc program.

All the motors are servo motors bldc, with encoder feedback.

A virtual axis would be used for possibly less jitter/smoother profile, that is slaved to another axis. The virtual axis runs the profile without glitches, therefore the slaved axis has no jitter. There are other reasons for this also.
Knife cutoff of material running on a conveyor would be one example of a master slaved arrangement. A manual pulse generator would be another, the mpg encoder pulses run another axis(slaved) which in turn acts like a master to run another slave.

Can an mpg be hooked to Linuxcnc to run all the axes, and if so, can it be switched on and off without disconnecting from the machine?

Thanks for the previous answers tommylight and JT, being a new person to Linux I need all the help I can get.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, JT

More
17 Nov 2022 23:26 #256984 by andypugh
I say this a lot, but in HAL it's all just numbers, you can do anything you want with them.

I first realised this when I wanted to make a gear hobber and realised that I could just divide the spindle position by the number of teeth and feed it to a stepper axis.

So, yes, I think you can do what you want, without even understanding what you want.

Your example of a conveyor cutter would be one example, though it would make more sense in practice to have a single axis at an angle and use a G33 move to synch it to the conveyor motion at a "pitch" to suit the tangent of the angle.

More
20 Nov 2022 01:13 #257136 by RetroFitter
Thanks for replying Andypugh, to be honest with you I don't really know the inner workings of the knife cutter conveyor, I was just using it as an example. You may be correct with your suggestion.

I'll look more into that.

More
21 Nov 2022 13:02 #257214 by andypugh
If you tell us your actual application we can probably help.
It's hard to give a specific answer to a generic question, and there are a few ways to solve the class of problem you are describing.

More
28 Nov 2022 15:02 #257860 by RetroFitter
There isn't really an actual application, just industrial applications I have done in the past and had questions with those in mind.

I did ask this question earlier 'Can an mpg be hooked to Linuxcnc to run all the axes, and if so, can it be switched on and off without disconnecting from the machine?' If this is the case than it would probably do what I was thinking about.

I do apologize for the length of time for me to answer back but eating to much over the holidays fogs my thinking, maybe you can relate.

Thanks Again

More
30 Nov 2022 01:02 #258062 by andypugh
Do you just want the MPG to move the axes, and not run any G-code?

eg, you turn a switch to select an axis, then wind the handle and the axis moves?

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds