What are the Problems with Using Debian for a Machine Controller?

More
11 Dec 2022 01:18 #259173 by rodw
Actually, I just realised the alpha branch was last built in September whereas the weekly builds are current. (the daily build gets sid)
given linuxcnc-uspace is stll moving in to the debian repos, the weekly build will make more sense or you might not get the latest linuxcnc package.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2022 02:22 - 11 Dec 2022 02:25 #259175 by Bari
I currently have test systems that run Debian Sid, Bookworm, Bullseye and Buster. I find it interesting and frustrating that we all get slightly different behaviors based on which media we choose for the first install and then later how we upgrade.

Some of the issues are using Sid or Testing (currently Bookworm) and your state of upgrades. Some issues don't see to go away until the next clean fresh install from a stable release image like the long desktop startup delay with AMD we see with Sid and Bookworm.

The RTAI dev had similar problems and we made sure to try different install images to see if the problems were the same or different. And of course, some are the same and some are different  :)
Last edit: 11 Dec 2022 02:25 by Bari.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
11 Dec 2022 03:05 #259176 by rodw
I think the correct distribution to use for that sort of testing should be the bookworm alpha build because ultimately, that is the one that will become the release version. But then again the weekly builds will eventually become the beta version so there is a good argument to follow that until Debian is frozen for the offiicial release.. That also picks up the November update to linuxcnc-uspace which post dates alpha.

I've never expereinced the long startup delay but always use intel cpu's.

I think more important is to check all  GUI's function, Currently Gmocappy doesn't and I suspect that is because not all dependencies are included in our deb building process.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bari

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds