Test LinuxCNC without motors and encoders connected

More
07 Jun 2019 16:40 #136219 by Peterdeleu
Yes,

before start 2 yellow and 1 red
after startup 2 yellow and 1 blinking green

Both field powers connected, VIN W1 is on the left position

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2019 16:48 #136227 by Peterdeleu
Ok, Now it is starting.

I found in the Hall Meter that it has to be :
hm2_5i25.0.7i84.0.2.output-00
in stead of
hm2_5i25.1.7i84.0.2.output-00

LinuxCNC is running again :)

More
07 Jun 2019 16:50 #136228 by PCW
Ah yes, best to list all the actual pin names and use those:

halcmd show pin > all_linuxcnc_pins

More
07 Jun 2019 17:05 #136234 by Peterdeleu
I'm very happy.

I received my Mesa card yesterday, and after spending 8 hours I'm able to write a working Classicladder program, start a spindel and handle the rotation speed, Output on the analog port to drive the servo drivers (-10V/+10V) ...
This is the first time I've done this.. so there is hope for everybody who wants to jump in the LinuxCNC world.
If I can get it work, everybody should :p

I'm just a little afraid to connect the servo drivers and the servos.. because I hardly know what a servo motor is :) And I don't even mention the PID tuning in LinuxCNC!!

My goal is to replace an old CNC controller on a Biesse Rover 18 by LinuxCNC.

More
08 Jun 2019 02:06 #136277 by tommylight
Search for "servo tuning detailed how to" there is a lot of info of wiring procedures and testing and precautions when setting up Mesa 7i77 with servo drives .

More
08 Jun 2019 02:22 - 08 Jun 2019 02:23 #136278 by bevins

I'm very happy.

I received my Mesa card yesterday, and after spending 8 hours I'm able to write a working Classicladder program, start a spindel and handle the rotation speed, Output on the analog port to drive the servo drivers (-10V/+10V) ...
This is the first time I've done this.. so there is hope for everybody who wants to jump in the LinuxCNC world.
If I can get it work, everybody should :p

I'm just a little afraid to connect the servo drivers and the servos.. because I hardly know what a servo motor is :) And I don't even mention the PID tuning in LinuxCNC!!

My goal is to replace an old CNC controller on a Biesse Rover 18 by LinuxCNC.

I have done a few Biesse Rovers. I have a Biesse Rover 346 running linuxcnc. they are solid machines.

Biesse has a pre loop so when you press the green button a green light goes on. Tie that into your linuxcnc estop before you enable the drives. has to go both ways in and out so if you lose that loop,(green lite goes out) it should fire estop in linuxcnc. Same goes the other way, estop in linuxcnc breaks that loop. Let me know if you need help with that.

Energize a relay with machine-is-on, take contacts of that relay and enable your drives.
Get limit and home switches wired

Then your good to go, after wiring the drives to the 7i77. (+-10, encoders)
Last edit: 08 Jun 2019 02:23 by bevins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HueyHQ

More
08 Jun 2019 13:03 #136292 by Peterdeleu
All the wiring (IO, encoders, .. ) to the current controller is done via SUB-D connectors.
I've buyed a couple of these. This way I don't have to cut the connectors.
And I was aware of the E-stop loop. I will connect these to the Mesa.
Same for all the other IO's. The outputs are all connected via relaiscards, and the inputs via optocouplers. (see picture) to the controller.
That will make the job easier.
But I guess I will need more support from this forum once I'll start the real work :)
Attachments:

More
09 Jun 2019 13:40 #136373 by Peterdeleu
I'm little bit confused now.

I've tried to read a lot about "tuning the servo's".
In the past I tough that this has to be done on the servo drive.
In the beginning I've planned to replace the servo drives and motors by Clearpath servo's. The reason for this was because Clearpath can "tune" themselves. And that was maybe an expensive way to solve my fear, but probably not the best way.
Now I read a lot about PID tuning in LinuxCNC. I don't say that I know what PID tuning is, but it looks like the tuning has to be done in LinuxCNC and not on the drives. Maybe this will be more clear when I actually connect the drives to LinuxCNC and have more hands-on experience.
But anyway, I would like to thank everybody here to support the LinuxCNC dummies". Without them it would be a nightmare :).

More
09 Jun 2019 17:30 #136391 by PCW
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/tuning/servo.html

is a pretty good guide to setting up and tuning velocity mode servos with LinuxCNC

Note that with velocity mode servos some of the tuning (the velocity loop) is done
in the drive (these are probably already tuned), and some (the position loop) is done in LinuxCNC.

More
12 Jun 2019 11:57 #136713 by Peterdeleu
That make sense :) Tx !!

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds