Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
18 Jan 2013 12:57 #28796 by cmorley
Norbert

I see what your saying.
But max_velocity is never presented to the user as a per/minute display.

I would read it as a per/second value, convert it to per/minute just to convert it back to per/second to use it.

So I choose not to convert it.
What I could do is add comments to the defaults to mention the units.

Chris M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2013 12:59 #28797 by cmorley

I added velocity to the status bar
fixed the max jog speed from INI
fixing the jog speed conversion will take a bit of time.
I added a standard Gscreen metric config to test with.

Chris M

Thanks for all this, Chris. This is great. Jog speed is working right for me now, and having the current velocity in the active G-codes is great. I'll try it out again on the mill in the next few days.

The extra digits are still there on the spindle speed readout. I added a round() function to line 2665 in gscreen:
self.widgets.s_display.set_value(round(abs(self.halcomp["spindle-readout.in"]),1))
This fixed it for me, but this may well be masking a symptom of some other problem.

I wonder if the "Full Graphics" button shouldn't also be present after pressing the "Graphics" button to zoom, pan, etc.

Thanks again.
Karl

Ya the extra digits show in the default screen but not Industrial for me - not sure why yet...
Your added code looks good.

Yes thats a good place for full graphics button too.

Chris M

More
18 Jan 2013 21:06 - 19 Jan 2013 01:41 #28803 by tjamscad

The alarm history will only show history since started, it doesn't save it from session to session - that could be added.
It records anything that is printed to the status line except the 'ready for homing'
for a sample go to run tab and press start spindle you get a warning and that warning will be recorded in the alarm history.

I will remove the toggle button and next tab button

The spindle speed and spindle at speed indicators are not working because I didn't hook them up in the sample HAL file.
The spindle speed bar is actually feedback from linuxcnc the little red line is the requested rpm.
I will see about connecting it so you can see it work.

I will try the status changes and fix the missing capital.
and the rest of suggestions sound find too.

Chris M

Alarm history doesn't show machine power off, when turning machine power off.

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

You have done some amazing things here Chris. I will have it tested in simulator mode by the operators and provide feedback. I cant just through it on a machine yet since we are a production shop and down time is to be avoided at all costs.

Now for the picky things.

1. When first turning opening up Gscreen there is a grey'd out green indicator on the spindle control
2. Mist and Flood coolant indicators should both be green when on. Yellow is thought of as a caution.
3. Can "FO" be changed to Feed Rate, "SO" Spindle Speed, and "VO" Rapid Feed
4. In program mode to write a simple program I select edit, then save is gone.
4a. How do I write a program from scratch on in the program mode?
5. Is it at all possable for the "joint" axis errors to be displayed as there actual axis? joint0=X
Last edit: 19 Jan 2013 01:41 by tjamscad.

More
19 Jan 2013 00:59 #28806 by karlkec

Ya the extra digits show in the default screen but not Industrial for me - not sure why yet...
Your added code looks good.

Yes thats a good place for full graphics button too.

Chris M

It's odd that we're not seeing the same thing. Before you add the round() function above, you might try the following with gscreen running, to see if you see the spindle speed digits from a floating-point value:
$ halcmd unlinkp gscreen.spindle-readout.in
$ halcmd setp gscreen.spindle-readout.in 1200.5132432
On mine gscreen shows all the digits of the value in the setp command.

Karl

More
19 Jan 2013 11:11 - 19 Jan 2013 11:15 #28810 by cmorley

Alarm history doesn't show machine power off, when turning machine power off.

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

You have done some amazing things here Chris. I will have it tested in simulator mode by the operators and provide feedback. I cant just through it on a machine yet since we are a production shop and down time is to be avoided at all costs.

Now for the picky things.

1. When first turning opening up Gscreen there is a grey'd out green indicator on the spindle control
2. Mist and Flood coolant indicators should both be green when on. Yellow is thought of as a caution.
3. Can "FO" be changed to Feed Rate, "SO" Spindle Speed, and "VO" Rapid Feed
4. In program mode to write a simple program I select edit, then save is gone.
4a. How do I write a program from scratch on in the program mode?
5. Is it at all possable for the "joint" axis errors to be displayed as there actual axis? joint0=X

I didn't add Machine off on purpose - I didn't think it was really important info - but can add it if you like. Could add a 'is homed' message to if you like.
Yes I would really like you to be cautious when first using Gscreen. It is not well tested obviously. Though a few people are using it on real machines.
1) I assume you would like the bar (and probably the LED) not greyed out but the control buttons will be until the machine is on. I'll look into it.
2) ok Green they will be.
3) hmm I think that would make the side panel pretty wide. Also it's not feed rate it's feed rate override, Can your operator really not remember FO with a percent sign is feed override? Maybe we can wait and see on that one.
4) do you mean you would like the save and saveas buttons available in edit mode and greyed out otherwise - this does make sense.
4a) You have caught a bug on the Industrial screen the save and saveas are broken - I will fix that soon.
It's an interesting question.
as it is now you would enter edit mode and type your program. get out of edit mode then saveas your program - then you can run your program.

Another time saving way would be to have a dummy program with your usual preamble in it. load this program, enter edit mode, edit, saveas, and run
If your wondering the difference between save and saveas - save will save with the existing program name (there must be one), where save as obviously lets you change the name, but it also then reloads that program into linuxcnc, so the original should be unchanged.
Another related option is the Onboard keyboard has optional button that can be set to type a preconfigured line. You could use this for preamble.
5) sorry I see no practical way to do this at the moment. Let me think on it.

I'm glad your happy with it - I'm happy with everyone helping me get it user freindly -it's been fun!

Chris M
Last edit: 19 Jan 2013 11:15 by cmorley. Reason: forgot #3 answer

More
19 Jan 2013 11:12 #28811 by cmorley
Karl that's exactly what I did! :) Haven't looked at it deeply yet.

weird.

More
19 Jan 2013 11:47 #28812 by karlkec

Another related option is the Onboard keyboard has optional button that can be set to type a preconfigured line. You could use this for preamble.

Something to consider is to have some boiler plate program saved with a preamble, and chmod it to 400 (read only). Maybe call it template.ngc (choose which template is to be loaded via the INI file or cli option???). Then have a button to load template file. For any file loaded without write permission, have the "save as" button active in the editor, but grey out the "save" button.
Not trying to make more work for you Chris.

More
19 Jan 2013 13:47 #28813 by cmorley
tjamscad

re F0 S0 and V0

I was thinking you were talking of the overrides in the status window.
Maybe you were speaking of the Gcodes active window?

More
19 Jan 2013 19:06 #28816 by newbynobi

Norbert

I see what your saying.
But max_velocity is never presented to the user as a per/minute display.

I would read it as a per/second value, convert it to per/minute just to convert it back to per/second to use it.

So I choose not to convert it.
What I could do is add comments to the defaults to mention the units.

Chris M

Hallo Chris,

you are right, that Max_velocity is not shown in your screen, but it is on mine.
I thing max_Velocity should be on the screen, and I will try to explain why.

I write most of my programs offline, many times using CAD/CAM. So feed rates are set automatically and the rapid moves also.
So, ngc.file to the server and then get it with the real machine.

On the first run, I reduce the max_velocity to a quite slow velocity, so every quick move (G0) will be done with slower velocity than the max_velocity.
My machine runs at 10000 mm/min each axis, running at such speed, you will not be able to react, if you see a fixture collision or other errors.

On one off my machines max_velocity can be modified with an jog wheel, but I believe most users don't have this option.
I think this security feature should be integrated.

Second thing I noticed:
On my computer when using gscreen, I am not able to jog the machine using the keyboard buttons.
sometimes it is realy helpfull to use just the arrows to move arroud.
It would be nice to get the axis keyboard shortcuts also in gscreen.

Regards Norbert

Norbert

More
19 Jan 2013 23:58 #28830 by tjamscad

tjamscad

re F0 S0 and V0

I was thinking you were talking of the overrides in the status window.
Maybe you were speaking of the Gcodes active window?

You are correct, Feed and Spindle override normal but the "VO" is for velocity override correct? Wich in turn makes it Rapid Feed Override?

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds