Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
05 Jul 2012 11:25 #21606 by BigJohnT
eto wrote:

I really want it to run just like the original live cd from the applications menu. How do I accomplish this?

I create a launcher by right clicking on the desktop and supply the full path to the linuxcnc script int the RIP directory then a space and the full path to my configuration in the command box. Of course this is after doing the normal build process from the src directory of

./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make setuid

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2012 13:03 #21607 by andypugh
eto wrote:

I really want it to run just like the original live cd from the applications menu. How do I accomplish this?

Edit the shortcuts/menu items so that they point to the linuxcnc script in your linuxcnc-dev/scripts/ directory rather than to the one they currently point to. I am a bit fuzzy on the details, but it will involve right-clicks and property tabs. it can't be that hard, I managed it.

Also is anybody working on a touchscreen pendant control? I was hoping that under jogging mode button you would get an onscreen pendant style jogging controller similar to what Mach3 has

I think that when Cradek made the touchy interface he decided that touchscreens were too unreliable and laggy to be used as jogging controls. This is why Touchy requires a physical jogwheel. This is partly because the touchscreen is always userspace and subject to being ignored by the OS, whereas the jogwheel runs in the realtime layer, so is guaranteed to be acted on.

More
06 Jul 2012 07:28 - 06 Jul 2012 07:30 #21642 by cmorley
Gcreen currently allows jogging be screen buttons. Whether that's a good idea still up for debate. ( and depends alot on servo thread speed)
I don't know hoe Mach does it but assume a screen with buttons in positions that represent the direction to jog.
Gscreen does it by selecting the axis then pushing the + or - key (while in jogging mode)

I should say this is for rough jogging (jogging at a speed not a position)

Did I mention that Gscreen is under development ?
Last edit: 06 Jul 2012 07:30 by cmorley.

More
19 Jul 2012 01:15 #22165 by cmorley
I have done some work on the graphics view with touch screens in mind (pan, rotate, etc) or using on screen buttons.
overrides can be adjusted now.

I haven't done this yet, but at the moment I have decided to drop the 'startup mode' screen and just have manual, MDI and auto.

questions:
what sounds better ? have jogging enabled automatically when in manual mode or having to select 'jog mode' while in manual.

have loading, saving, editiing Gcode in manual or in auto (as it is now) Keep in mind if using NCGgui or wizards they are only available to view in auto mode.

More
19 Jul 2012 08:17 #22174 by cncbasher
i'd stick with jogging enabled automaticly , i think keeps it clean and uncluttered , with functionality approprate in that particular mode , unless of course it becomes a safety issue , then drop back into specific sequences to enable
this is in keeping with i think our origional goal , in keeping it uncluttered , and reducing key presses ( or screen touch ) to a minimum .

with regard to file editing , i can see a reason to have editing done in manual mode , but i still feel auto mode overall gives a better result and again keeps it uncluttered .
must admit i am undecided on this one .

More
01 Aug 2012 11:19 - 01 Aug 2012 11:22 #22653 by BigJohnT
I think I'm up to speed enough on Gtk and Glade to look at Gscreen now LOL. Chris do you maintain a git repository or something on Gscreen?

Never mind I found it I think.

John
Last edit: 01 Aug 2012 11:22 by BigJohnT.

More
01 Aug 2012 15:11 - 01 Aug 2012 15:12 #22655 by BigJohnT
I got it up and running and it came up full screen but my mouse pointer disappeared... I can see buttons getting pressed when I guess where the mouse might be. Is Gscreen for touch screens?

John
Last edit: 01 Aug 2012 15:12 by BigJohnT.

More
01 Aug 2012 22:17 #22657 by cmorley
Gscreen was made with touch screens in mind but works fine with a mouse.
On the second menu page there is a button to show/hide the mouse. (just like TOUCHY)
Not sure why it defaulted to hide but....

I am doinf some docs on the wiki but they are not finished yet...
I am interested in your comments. Gscreen is obviously still developing

Chris M

More
01 Aug 2012 22:37 #22660 by BigJohnT
I'd include some instructions on how to get it loaded somewhere up front... a screen shot of the preferences page would be nice. I assume you plan on incorporating the Gscreen docs into your branch at some time. For folks who want to modify some path to getting there would be helpful. I see you reused some of the Touchy python files. I wish they were documented in some other language than programmer...

John

More
02 Aug 2012 01:24 #22663 by cmorley
yes I will add more pics to the wiki docs.
when they are closer to finished and stable I will add them to the formal docs - I made need some pointers from you :)

By 'folks who want to modify' do you mean modify gscreen?
Were you thinking of something specific ?
There is much work to do to the code to clean it up.
I program organically and messily :)

I intend to comment the files to help someone figure out what does what - at the moment I'm figuring out what does what !

Chris

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds