Touch screen setup GUI

More
19 Mar 2013 08:10 #31571 by beltramidave
Replied by beltramidave on topic Touch screen setup GUI
Hey John,
Got my Elo 1515L the other day and struggled to follow the directions to install the driver from the Elo website, but I believe that I have it installed correctly. Is there a setting that I missed to be able to single tap a folder or program icon to open it instead of double tapping? Also, what is the secret to using scroll bars? They don't seem to be very responsive.
Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2013 17:39 #31580 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Touch screen setup GUI
I followed the instructions to use Evtouch here

Go to Places > Home to open the file browser then Edit > Preferences > Behavior to select single click.

When you touch the screen does the pointer appear centered under your finger?

John

More
19 Mar 2013 22:30 #31602 by beltramidave
Thanks John, I was able to resolve the single click issue. The pointer does appear centered under my finger, I think that it is more that that scroll bars are so close to the edge of the screen more than anything. I have my screen resolution set to 1024 x 768.

More
19 Mar 2013 22:53 #31607 by BigJohnT
Yea, I've found that my fingers can't touch the edge or the touch sensitive area is not all the way to the edge...

Which GUI are you using?

John

More
19 Mar 2013 23:03 #31609 by beltramidave
Still trying to use Axis even though it has been said that it doesn't work well with the touch panels. The scroll bar issues come in when just browsing through files.t

For the most part, Axis doesn't work too bad, i don't think. I just can't wrap my head around all the programming that it takes to make changes to these programs, even after looking at all the great examples. I just wish I could figure out where/how to make basic changes to icon & button sizes used in Axis. Don't want to recreate the wheel, just make a few modifications for easier touch compatability.

Thanks for your continued help!

More
19 Mar 2013 23:20 #31610 by BigJohnT
Axis is a great GUI for keyboard/mouse and a terrible GUI for a touch screen. IMHO it would be a time sink to try and make Axis a good GUI for a touch screen.

While Touchy is a good touch screen GUI I find that Dewey's Touchy + Gremlin + ngcgui a very workable combination. It gives you the Gremlin backplot preview window like Axis so you can see if your program makes any sense or not. Touchy does require a couple of buttons and a MPG or similar to jog with. Once you use Touchy a bit it is easy to get the job done.

Another option is gscreen and I think it doesn't require any hardware inputs like Touchy does.

John

More
01 May 2013 09:37 - 01 May 2013 09:37 #33472 by beltramidave
John,

Could you share your config and any other info for your Elo touch screen and Evtouch driver? I followed the directions from here: help.ubuntu.com/community/EloTouchScreen.

I put the following information in my config file (like the website said) and then I was not able to to get Ubuntu to run, it locked up at the splash screen. I was able to use a LiveCD to boot and remove the config file and then all worked well again. Any ideas?

Here is the info from the config file:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Elo class"
MatchProduct "Elo TouchSystems"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "evtouch"
Option "minX" "530"
Option "minY" "570"
Option "maxX" "3500"
Option "maxY" "3500"
EndSection
Last edit: 01 May 2013 09:37 by beltramidave.

More
01 May 2013 18:59 #33482 by BigJohnT
That is the exact instructions that I followed to install the two touch screens I have.

When you created the config file did you use sudo so it is owned by root?

I can't see my config from here but I will post it a bit later when I go to the shop.

John

More
01 May 2013 19:21 #33483 by beltramidave
I followed the directions exactly.. I did notice that when I did "lshal | grep Elo", that I did not get any "info.product' like shown below. My main concern for doing this is that my pyvcp jog buttons and the +/- jog buttons in axis still are sticky (sometimes they keep focus and continue to jog after taking finger off the touch screen). I also have problems when trying to use the virtual keyboard.

Configuration

Ubuntu 10.04
Do NOT edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. All touchscreen configuration should be done by changing the appropriate .conf file in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/.

Check your device info:

lshal | grep Elo

info.vendor = 'Elo TouchSystems' (string)
usb_device.vendor = 'Elo TouchSystems' (string)
usb.vendor = 'Elo TouchSystems' (string)
info.product = 'EloTouchSystems,Inc Elo TouchSystems 2216 AccuTouch® USB Touchmonitor Interface' (string)
input.product = 'EloTouchSystems,Inc Elo TouchSystems 2216 AccuTouch® USB Touchmonitor Interface' (string)Create a configuration file to match your device:

Ubuntu 10.04:

sudo nano /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/69-evtouch.conf

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Elo class"
MatchProduct "Elo TouchSystems"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "evtouch"
Option "minX" "530"
Option "minY" "570"
Option "maxX" "3500"
Option "maxY" "3500"
EndSection

More
01 May 2013 19:51 #33484 by BigJohnT
That could be two unrelated issues... how did you plug the touch screen in?

I would be concerned that you didn't get info from lshal | grep Elo...

John

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds