Lathe Macros

More
08 Sep 2014 18:19 #50928 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Lathe Macros

Very difficult to say as it changes all the time. I have a very aggressive lowpass filter on the feedback.

What I just noticed is that the feedrate remains the same no matter what spindle speed I select. Surely that does not seem right?

You shouldn't have any filtering between encoder position and motion.spindle-revs.

Also you need to make sure that motion.spindle-revs is spindle _position_ not spindle _speed_.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2014 19:01 #50939 by andypugh

Will this feature be included in production (2.6.x) at any stage or will I have to make sure that I apply a fix after any update?

Unfortunately when I suggested adding this feature to the release version there was some disagreement with how I had implemented it.
There was a feeling that the code should be aware of the machine units, and should only convert once, etc etc.
That makes is a lot more difficult and complicated, so I gave up trying to sell the idea.

At the moment, for example, you can type "1in" and get "25.4" and then type "in" again in the same box and get "645.16"

From my point of view the extra characters are just short-cuts "in" for "convert from inches to mm" and "mm" for "convert from mm to inches" but others didn't see it that way :-/

I don't know if you have spotted it, but you can also type "3 25/64in" and get "86.122" though you do have to move the insertion point to the end before typing the "in" as the conversion after "/64" leaves it in the middle of the number in a way I haven't managed to fix yet.

More
08 Sep 2014 19:17 - 08 Sep 2014 19:17 #50941 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic Lathe Macros

You shouldn't have any filtering between encoder position and motion.spindle-revs.
Also you need to make sure that motion.spindle-revs is spindle _position_ not spindle _speed_

No filtering between the two and it is connected to position.

From my point of view the extra characters are just short-cuts "in" for "convert from inches to mm" and "mm" for "convert from mm to inches" but others didn't see it that way :-/

Why not make a new widget rather than modify the old. Call it something else then the choice is that of the user whether he want to use it or not. That would be the democratic way I think.

Obviously this kind of widget is needed as can be proven already.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Last edit: 08 Sep 2014 19:17 by mariusl.

More
08 Sep 2014 19:33 - 08 Sep 2014 19:37 #50942 by mariusl
Some more pictures

The first is the halscope capture of the velocity command and the second a halshow of some of the signals

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Sep 2014 19:37 by mariusl.

More
08 Sep 2014 19:47 #50944 by andypugh
With the spindle motor turned off, rotate the chuck by hand through one full turn and see what the motion.spindle-revs pin does.

I have a feeling that this problem comes down to the spindle gearing. Is the encoder on the motor and not the spindle?

More
08 Sep 2014 20:25 #50946 by mariusl
The encoder is on the spindle directly

motion.spindle-revs changed by 50 on one revolution

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
08 Sep 2014 21:11 #50949 by andypugh

motion.spindle-revs changed by 50 on one revolution

Ah, well, there's the problem :-)

You need to change the encoder position scale so that the number changes by 1.000 for one revolution.

More
08 Sep 2014 21:12 #50950 by andypugh

You need to change the encoder position scale so that the number changes by 1.000 for one revolution.

Just to be clear, and not knowing what decimal separator you use in SA. I was trying to say "exactly one" not "one thousand" :-)

More
08 Sep 2014 21:25 #50951 by mariusl
Ok that makes sense. It means that all my other calculations are also bugged as I used the encoder input as gospel.
I checked to see and encoder count is 2024 per revolution. So it uses one edge of the pulse not both sides as I believed.

Oh and I dont really care what we use for separator. I try any until things work. But I got what you meant thanks. :)

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
08 Sep 2014 22:52 #50954 by mariusl
Andy
Your'e Biscuit :woohoo:

And on top of it all it is rps not rpm. That is what caused the confusion for me. I just changed the encoder scale to 2048 and multiplied the feedback by 60

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds