making my machine distance work accuratly

More
12 Feb 2013 12:16 - 12 Feb 2013 14:55 #29931 by revo
i move my topic from linux question:
i was trying to switch my machine from inches to mm, did that, now:

i was able to make the mm work but my problem is the machine move in wrong distance. (was wrong distance in inches also so my gear ration and all that were wrong)

i dont undertsand how to set my pitch.
the acme screw has 11 thread per inch but i want my machine in mm so 0.44 thread per mm.

also for X and Y i have a pulley,
the setup is made by cnc router parts, its called the nema 34 pro. it has 64 teeth on the motor and another pully 20 teeth for the rack. and the ratio is 3:2:1
the gear rack has 20 pitch (rack and pinion setup)

for the lead screw it its a 0.5'' per rev.

now is someone can help figure out my stepconf and where to put this info.

i am getting very close, everthying is moving, linuxcnc is super smoot, i just have trouble with the right distance.

thanks for your input, its been countless hours in trying to make this work, i have a xml file for mach giving by the supplier. thanks JohnT to convert it but didnt work so i am trying to setup from scratch.

cheers!
Last edit: 12 Feb 2013 14:55 by revo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2013 20:38 #29944 by BigJohnT
What didn't work about the config?

If your mechanics are inch, set up your config in inches and just use G21 for metric.

John

More
13 Feb 2013 02:18 #29974 by revo
and how to use the g21 for metric?

i load my metric gcode than what do i do to make the machine use the g21. do i have to edit the gcode?
very very beginner here.

More
13 Feb 2013 02:34 #29975 by andypugh
Yes, just add G21 at the very top of the G-code and all distance will be interpreted as mm but moved in inches.

(ie G0X25.4 would move exactly one inch).

As for getting the scaling right, I find stepconf a little confusing.
The final number you want to see in the INI file is the number of steps per inch or steps per mm.

One complication may be that the rack is likely to be an imperial DP rack. That means that a 20-tooth pinion will have a pitch-circle diameter of 1", so the movement is 3.14159….. inches per rev.

I am not entirely clear what the gearing is between the motor and the pinion on the rack.
If you have a 64-tooth pulley on the motor and a 20-tooth pulley on the rack pinion, and a 20-tooth rack pinion then:
One rev of the motor is 64/20 turns of the pinion, which is 10.0531 inches. (which sounds much too big, by the way)
Assuming no microstepping that is 200/10.0531 steps per inch = 19.8943.
So, the number you want to see in the INI file is 19.8943. If all my assumptions are correct. But you probably do have microstepping, and I am not sure that the 64:20 ratio on the drive to the pinion is right either.

More
13 Feb 2013 04:50 #29980 by revo
the setup is Y and X
64 teeth on the motor pulley
20 teeth on the rack pulley
so i was thinking on the stepconf to do 3 to 1 but the step conf ask on how many teeth so do i put 64 to 20?

for Z, the screw move 0.5'' per revolution.

on the stepconf it ask for

driver microstepping:
pulley teeth :
leadscrew pitch:

i am confuse on the X and Y i dont have leadscrew. what do write there.
on the Z i dont have pulley teeth so what do i write there?

its a bit confusing, i mean i can make my motor purr with wahtever setting but seem that its screws up the distance so those are extremely important setting i guess.

the driver microstepping, what is it exactly? some forum post say you write 1, 2, 10 or 16? this really confuse me.

More
13 Feb 2013 05:02 - 13 Feb 2013 05:03 #29981 by andypugh

the setup is Y and X
64 teeth on the motor pulley
20 teeth on the rack pulley
so i was thinking on the stepconf to do 3 to 1 but the step conf ask on how many teeth so do i put 64 to 20?

Well, 64:20 is not 3:1, if you put 3:1 then it will be inaccurate.
Stepconf tries to help out by doing the maths for you. But, as you have found, it isn't always helpful.

for Z, the screw move 0.5'' per revolution.

So that's either 2tpi in the Imperial setup, or 12.7mm pitch in a metric setup.
If there is no pulley involved, then just use 1 for both sizes.

i am confuse on the X and Y i dont have leadscrew. what do write there.
on the Z i dont have pulley teeth so what do i write there?

The leadscrew pitch is how far the machine moves for one turn of the screw. In the case of a rack system that means how far the machine travels for one turn of the rack pinion.
How many teeth are on the rack pinion, and what size are the teeth? This may be given in DP, mod, or possibly circular pitch.
Do you have a link to the rack and pinion specifications?

the driver microstepping, what is it exactly? some forum post say you write 1, 2, 10 or 16? this really confuse me.

It is a setting on the drives. You need to make this number match what the drives are set to.
Normally a stepper motor has 200 steps per rev, but you don't have to step in full steps. Most drives allow you to move half, a quarter, a 16th or sometimes even smaller divisions of a step.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2013 05:03 by andypugh.

More
13 Feb 2013 08:02 #29991 by alan_3301
I put this info in your other thread.
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...-setting-to-mm#29938

The scale values you have from your converted file are good.
2037 for X and Y or 2037.18 if you want to be a little more right.
4000 for Z assuming 1/2-10 5start acme w/ 10x microstepping

Unless you have a rotary axis, you might want to get rid it in your ini file, just to avoid confusion.
Also, you can get better help if you describe or take pics of the electronics you have.
I know you said you have cncrouterparts rack and pinion drives. Did you get their electronics kit also?

More
13 Feb 2013 09:02 #29995 by revo
the rack is 20 pitch and 20degres pressure as it say on the cnc router parts site.

my motor is 200 steps.

ill try all that tonight when i get home.

thanks for your help, this very confusing.

More
13 Feb 2013 09:03 #29996 by revo
the electronic are gecko drive 201x and pmdx 126 board.

More
13 Feb 2013 17:36 #30004 by andypugh

the rack is 20 pitch and 20degres pressure as it say on the cnc router parts site.

Unfortunately there are three ways to define gear pitch.
1) Module. The pitch-circle diameter divided by the number of teeth. Normally used for metric gears, bigger numbers = bigger teeth.
2) Diametric Pitch. The number of teeth divided by the pitch-circle diameter. Normally used for Imperial gears. Smaller numbers = bigger teeth.
3) Circular Pitch. The pitch-circle circumference divided by the number of teeth.

I think we can be sure that your rack isn't 20 mod, as that would mean teeth 60mm wide.
Assuming 20 DP the distance-per-rev is (pi * number-of-teeth) / 20
If it is 20 circular pitch, leave out the pi.

You can tell by measuring how far you need to move the gantry for one rotation of the pinion.

Time to create page: 1.258 seconds