not understanding where to attach physical wires

More
14 Mar 2014 08:34 #44791 by johns00056
encoder www.galco.com/buy/Danaher-Controls/F152048/80910

The motors are Fanuc red cap model alpha 22/2000 A06B-0147 b075/0075

model 20s A06B-0502-B004

One motor says 8 poles on the label, the other does not specify.

I have about a 3 to one timing belt reduction connected to the ball screws, so I don't need maximum performance.

147 volts 15a 20a stall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2014 18:41 #44806 by andypugh

encoder www.galco.com/buy/Danaher-Controls/F152048/80910

The motors are Fanuc red cap model alpha 22/2000 A06B-0147 b075/0075

You could probably have kept the Fanuc encoders and used their commutation signals.

However, the commutation encoder you have has 3 channels of "Hall" style signals. Those need connecting to GPIO and from there to the bldc component, which should be set to "h" mode (initially)
The hall signals are differential so could conveniently be connected to a spare encoder channel, with the number of encoder modules reduced from the maximum number their input pins become available as GPIO, usefully in your case they will be differential inputs.

This won't be ideal in the final application. because you need all the encoder channels. What do you intend to use for your general IO on the machine?

More
14 Mar 2014 21:32 #44809 by johns00056
I don't know what I am using for general IO. I am not opposed to getting a second 7i85.

I still have the original Fanuc encoders.

Right now, the motor runs fairly well in cfg=q mode. I can stall the motor with my fingers with some difficulty.

In cfg=iq the motor starts turning continuously (with low torque) as soon as the drive is enabled.

How do I tell if the index mark is being seen?

More
15 Mar 2014 02:23 #44816 by PCW
Unfortunately7I85 encoder inputs cannot be used to read the Hall signals since they are multiplexed.
There is an upcoming change to the HostMot2 driver that will allow reading the A/B/I pins directly that addresses this issue
but it's not on the driver yet

In some ways things would be a lot easier with the Fanuc encoders (assuming they are serial pulsecoders)
in that they have a absolute commutation track.that avoids having to deal with Hall signals at all

Also this absolute track is already aligned with the motor rotor, the added encoder is probably not aligned

This does involve running LinuxCNC master but that will make 8I20 EEPROM setting easier as well.

I dont think the sample file has the correct setup for QI mode (home with index)
so will probably just spin forever looking for the index

At the minimum, this line would need to be uncommented

#net motor.00.index-enable hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.encoder.00.index-enable => bldc.0.index-enable

(and of course the encoder mount adjusted so that index occurs at rotor angle 0)

More
15 Mar 2014 04:17 #44819 by andypugh

Unfortunately7I85 encoder inputs cannot be used to read the Hall signals since they are multiplexed.
There is an upcoming change to the HostMot2 driver that will allow reading the A/B/I pins directly that addresses this issue
but it's not on the driver yet

In that case the answer is to use one of the smart-serial ports to mount a GPIO board (such as the 7i84) and use that for the machine IO including the commutation signals.

(and of course the encoder mount adjusted so that index occurs at rotor angle 0)

There is a programmable offset as a parameter to bldc to adjust for unaligned encoders.
However, index homing still has the problem that the motor has to wiggle by up to a full turn before it can drive the axis properly.

More
15 Mar 2014 04:32 #44820 by andypugh
This post explains how to set up the commutation track.
www.linuxcnc.org/hardy/index.php/english...p-5i257i858i20#41265

It does assume that the encoder is properly aligned to the motor poles. You didn't say if you did that.

More
15 Mar 2014 05:31 #44821 by johns00056
Sometimes the motor works fine with plenty of torque. I moved the table, which weighs more than one ton,

a little today at 300 inches per min. (I still only have 50v in the 147v rated motor.) It did OK except for major

following error and bounceback.

Sometimes the motor "can't find itself" and runs with low torque.

Once in a while the motor just runs away, with low torque. I have not figured out a pattern for the behaviour.

PCW- I tried un commenting that line and it did like you said it would- it ran continuously when enabled.

I did not orient the encoder, I will have to look into that.

More
15 Mar 2014 05:47 #44823 by andypugh

Sometimes the motor "can't find itself" and runs with low torque.

That is fairly typical for "thump" alignment on a motor which is under load.

I strongly recommend switching to a robust commutation method.

More
15 Mar 2014 05:58 - 15 Mar 2014 05:59 #44824 by PCW
Thump alignment can work pretty well but it needs to have enough torque to do the job

The current 8I20 setup is for 7.5A full scale
7.5A * the bldc init value of 0.3 in the hal; file
limits alignment current to only about 2A which
is likely insufficient to guarantee reliable rotor positioning

You could try increasing the init value (all the way up to 1)
but I suspect that you also have a weak power supply so this may not help much
(and in fact may just drop your power supply voltage so low that the 8I20 throws a LV fault)
Last edit: 15 Mar 2014 05:59 by PCW. Reason: sp

More
15 Mar 2014 20:22 #44848 by johns00056
I don't think torque is the problem ,right now.

Even with the belt off it does not work right every time.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds