Homing a dual-motor-for-one-axis gantry machine.

More
29 Apr 2014 01:57 #46440 by andypugh

Spent another loose half an hour on the code, and it seems the new code does the trick, at least in simulation:

Sounds promising.
The top 3 commits here
timeguy.com/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a=log;.../synchronized-homing
Are from a previous attempt at a similar approach (at the LinuxCNC fest)
I think he was trying much the same thing, possibly in a different way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2014 03:44 - 29 Apr 2014 04:10 #46444 by DaBit
He must have tried something more complicated. All in all I don't have many hours of coding in it, and most of the time was browsing the LinuxCNC sources to satisfy my curiosity.

The hardware is progressing nicely too; this was the result of hooking up the last few wires for the X-axis servo and spending some time in the 'calibration' window: youtube.com/watch?v=rtJ3MGSM030.
It won't take months before I will test it on a real gantry and even less before I setup the X and Y axes of my current mill to simultaneous homing and see if they wait for each other. But for now the main priority is still wiring and mechanical things :)
Last edit: 29 Apr 2014 04:10 by DaBit.

More
29 Apr 2014 03:57 #46445 by emcPT
That is a FAST axis. 30m/min?

More
29 Apr 2014 04:10 - 29 Apr 2014 04:13 #46446 by DaBit
Yes, 30m/min. Your hardware is used well :laugh:

3000rpm/750W servo coupled with a 1:1 belt drive to a 10mm pitch ballscrew.
With 5000mm/sec^2 acceleration that doesn't even stress the motor. The servo is even allowed to go to 4500rpm so at 30m/min there is still steam left to correct position errors.

Truly an insane amount of violence, those servo motors (NEMA23 steppers is all I had seen before today).
Last edit: 29 Apr 2014 04:13 by DaBit.

More
29 Apr 2014 19:23 #46475 by Todd Zuercher

That is a FAST axis. 30m/min?

We have a few routers that do 80m/min (not LinuxCNC though). 5ft x 10ft fixed gantry moving table routers.They are a little scarey to be close to if you are not used to them. Knock you across the room if you stand in the wrong place at the wrong time.

More
05 May 2014 15:01 - 05 May 2014 15:17 #46606 by DaBit
Even the 30m/min scared the hell out of me yesterday. The move to home position after the homing process is complete is a maximum speed move, and somehow I didn't expect it when I was watching the X-axis homing process closely. That axis accelerating to 500mm/sec (at 1G/10000mm/sec^2; forgot to set that back to a sane value after tinkering around a little :whistle: ) after the slow latch move made me jump a meter backwards :laugh:

Not so funny:

Right. In teleop mode the soft limits are recognised, but not obeyed.

To be honest I am 101% done with gantrykins :angry:
And since gentrivkins/JA4 seems no better, I am done with that too.

I returned the config to a normal 3-axis trivial kinematics machine, slaved the Y-axis motors in HAL and made it possible to introduce an offset between the two if desired (offset component between Y axis joints). If measurements prove that squaring the gantry is necessary, I can do that using a bit of wizardry using G38 probe cycles in a G code subroutine to find the references.

Once the machine is up and running I might be interested in trying to find a more structural solution. Synchronised homing would only be a part of that.
Last edit: 05 May 2014 15:17 by DaBit.

More
05 May 2014 18:34 #46618 by andypugh

To be honest I am 101% done with gantrykins :angry:
And since gentrivkins/JA4 seems no better, I am done with that too.

I don't think that the people you need to discuss this with are on the forum.
This sort of thing really needs to be talked about on the developers mailing list.

More
05 May 2014 19:27 - 05 May 2014 19:27 #46620 by DaBit
I am just done with gantrykins. That's just me. User error, underlying LinuxCNC issues, a combination of both, it doesn't matter; IMHO that doesn't belong on a developers mailing list unless I am prepared to actually do something to make it better. And currently I am not prepared to make it better since I have a plan B and building/finishing the mill is higher on the priority list.

Regarding synchronised homing: Initial testing with synchronised homing using the X and Y axes of my current mill does work. New mill uses both homeswitches and an index pulse; I prefer to test that configuration too before submitting a patch to that developer mailing list. I could set up a set of simulation testbenches, but a simulation is often not nearly as stubborn as the real thing. However, if anyone benefits from synchronised homing: ask and you shall receive..
Last edit: 05 May 2014 19:27 by DaBit.

More
05 May 2014 19:32 #46621 by andypugh

I am just done with gantrykins. That's just me. User error, underlying LinuxCNC issues, a combination of both, it doesn't matter.

My point is that if the project is distributing two different options that simply don't work, something should be done.

More
05 May 2014 19:56 #46625 by DaBit
OK, clear. I will do a posting on the mailing list.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crisiacuf

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds