examples outside of machine limits how to fix?

More
15 Feb 2016 18:42 #70175 by gzcwnk
Hi,

I have just installed 2.7 from dvd. I have tried running some examples and I find it wont run the examples. It appears that the examples are outside of the machine limits. How do I move the example(s) into the machine limits "box" or move the limits to around the work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2016 20:10 #70188 by BigJohnT
You need to touch off to the material first.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/index.html

JT

More
15 Feb 2016 22:40 #70197 by gzcwnk
thanks, but which sub heading is that? "homing" ? specifically "Homing a machine sets up the G53 Machine Origin." and "Jog the axis each direction to the position you want the soft limits to be and note the DRO readout. Set up your soft limits in your ini using the information you gathered so when you home the axis at the match marks you can not jog into a hard stop." ?

By the way, I dont have a physical machine yet only the electronics so all I want to do is prove that lunxcnc can drive the drivers via the chinese pci-e card and breakout board I just got while they sit on the tabletop. (steppers have not arrived yet). if not I have to go buy an older machine with a parallel port on it.

More
15 Feb 2016 22:50 #70198 by cmorley
you need to set the origin of the active Coordinate System (probably g54) so that all the gcode move are inside the machine limits.
You do this by 'touching off' in AXIS

so if a rapid move of the program, in Z was 1 inch above the Z limits you would jog down 1" or so from the Z origin and 'touch off' Z axis to zero. - at least this is one way.

Chris M

More
15 Feb 2016 23:01 #70200 by gzcwnk
I dont have machine limits set as there is no machine to set yet, so I am confused why the tool path / item is outside of the limits to start with, this seems strange to me. So its still not making sense, as I have been trying to do this I think but I am not in front of the machine maybe it will then be obvious when i have another go.

thanks

More
15 Feb 2016 23:02 #70201 by gzcwnk
is there anything on like youtube showing how this is done?

More
16 Feb 2016 01:12 - 16 Feb 2016 01:14 #70208 by cmorley
linuxcnc _always_ has machine limits (or called soft limits) and usually has limit/home switches.

if you don't have switches for home them you must jog to a homing point and tell linuxcnc to home based on that spot.
the spot is set in the INI file. You can't just home anywhere and expect things to work well :)

How did you get the config in the first place?
Have you tried the sample sim confgs ? They simulate home swicthes.
No sorry I don't think there are homing videos.

Chris M
Last edit: 16 Feb 2016 01:14 by cmorley.

More
16 Feb 2016 04:34 #70215 by gzcwnk
This is making no sense to me. I loaded 3dchips.ngc and the piece is outside a red box which I assume is the machine limits? So I tried jogging the head and touching zero until the piece of work is inside the red box for each axis, but when I try to run it I get linear move on line2 would exceed joint 2's positive limit"

how do I fix this?

More
16 Feb 2016 04:37 #70216 by Todd Zuercher
Joint 2 is the Z axis, you'll need to touch that off as well.

More
16 Feb 2016 04:42 #70217 by gzcwnk
did that same error message

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds