Hi, new user here, homing question

More
11 Nov 2017 07:57 #101643 by Desertboy
Hello, I've recently built a router and am now setting it up, I've had some issue including 1 bad AM882 so waiting for new one from HK but I have 3 working ones.

I have a pci parallel port (Dual output) and 2 cheap BOB's to control the machine for now, I've hunted down a netmos pci card (First one didn't work) and parport can see it now. So hopefully today I can get the machine to talk to linuxcnc.

Attachment not found

This pic is from a little while ago more stuff is on and the wiring.

I'm waiting on the 2nd PP header from ebay so only have 1 working PP at moment until Monday but enough to get started.

Have blown up 1 toroidal transformer so far, know what I did wrong have bought a bigger one to install today ;) 1kva this time.

My machine setup is dual ballscrew on the bottom axis (We'll call it Y) I have 2 microswitches for this axis one either side, I would like to square the gantry using the inputs from these microswitches I was told it's possible using 2.8

I've installed wheezy I will do the update to 2.8

How do I setup homing to square the gantry?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2017 13:04 #101655 by Todd Zuercher
I believe that there should be one or more example configs included with Master (2.8-pre). If that isn't enough then search the forums, there are several threads where people have been helped through it (with their configuration files included.)

More
12 Nov 2017 20:09 #101703 by Yannis
Hi
i did that with my machine( with the help of the forum)
you can find here the info forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...try-machine-progress
hope it help
The following user(s) said Thank You: Desertboy

More
13 Nov 2017 03:47 - 13 Nov 2017 03:57 #101710 by rodw
Homing really is very easy once you get your home and limit switches installed. The master homing sequence docs are very good I
thought, but some have disagreed.

Here is my homing .ini file entries for one side of my joint axis gantry machine running master (v2.8)
[JOINT_0]
#********************
HOME = 0.0
HOME_OFFSET = 43
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -100 
HOME_LATCH_VEL = 10
HOME_FINAL_VEL = 50
HOME_USE_INDEX = NO
HOME_SEQUENCE = -1

There are only 2 things you need to set up
HOME_SEQUENCE = -1
This tells LinuxCNC this is a joint axis with the other joint labelled -1. If you had 2 sets of joint axes, the second pair would be numbered -2
and
HOME_OFFSET = 43
This tells LinuxCNC how far from the home switch trigger point home is.

The only difference on the other joint is this:
[JOINT_1]
#********************
HOME_OFFSET = 42

So in my case the gantry is out 1.0mm out of square so HOME_OFFSET is different each side to account for this.

All I did was home the machine, measure and change the offsets. I think I also laid a large set square on the table and used a USB camera to confirm the side was square with cross hair up and down the table and then changed the offsets so it tracked the edge of the square along the gantry axis of movement. It took less than 10 minutes.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2017 03:57 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Desertboy, Sadmeatball

More
13 Nov 2017 10:03 #101721 by Desertboy
Thanks for the responses, I have a dumb question, I have in synaptic/software sources unticked everything and ticked the 2 master branches. I've then clicked check for updates and let it do it's thing. How do I check what version linuxcnc to make sure it's upgraded to 2.8?

More
13 Nov 2017 10:11 #101722 by rodw
When it starts up it announces the version on the command line or in the splash screen when it opens. It should say 2.8 somewhere.

More
13 Nov 2017 12:53 - 13 Nov 2017 12:58 #101725 by Yannis
YOU CAN FIND HERE MORE USEFUL INFO FOR YOUR PROJECT forum.linuxcnc.org/media/kunena/attachments/3190/select.JPG
Last edit: 13 Nov 2017 12:58 by Yannis.

Time to create page: 0.578 seconds