axises are dead after configuration

More
16 Apr 2019 18:03 #130992 by sm
Hello All!
I hope anyone here can help me to understand what I am doing wrong.
I have Debian wheezy 2.7 installed. TB6560 driver.
I have used stepconf to configure the hardware and while running this configuration tests for each axis worked just fine.
However, when (upon this configuration done) I bring up linuxcnc and try to move axises, linuxcnc shows in the gui that axises move, but hardware is dead.
It was working fine and I did not make changes to any connnections.
I just don't understand why is that. when I test axis in stepconf wizard - it works just fine. so, it means all connections and drivers setting are correct, right? if so, why it is dead in linuxcnc?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2019 18:33 #130996 by cmorley
Are you using a charge pump?
Stepconf's test doesn't use the charge pump, it uses the bare minimum to run the axis.

You can use halmeter and/or a multimeter to find why the motors are not moving.

Chris M

More
16 Apr 2019 18:44 #130998 by sm
Hi Chris,
thank you for responding. no, I am not using charge pump. I have previously had all axises configured with stepconf wizard for tb6560 4-axises board. and everything was working fine. but I have decided to rebuild table with motors and also because I need just x and y axises I wanted to re-run stepconf again to have just these axises in the gui and configuration. so, I re-run stepconf for this previously set up machine. tested x and y axises, while running stepconf. each of them was working just fine. I finished stepconf. closed it. bring up linuxcnc - each axis shown as moving in the gui, but hardware is dead.
in addition to it - i have also arduino connected to comp. this board controls 4 other motors. and strangely now, one of the motors randomly starts running out of blue... I mean, while writing this email and being away from machine, this motor started twice by itself. I don't get it... :(

More
16 Apr 2019 20:31 #131000 by sm
ah... I think I figured it out. in stepconf turned out I checked : create simulated hardware configuration check box.
if that checkbox is checked at the beginning of stepconf, then upon finishing the entire process my tb6560 (somehow) does not generate signals to motors. the led is dead and only leds are on are the ones stating that board is connected to power supply.

More
16 Apr 2019 20:54 #131004 by cmorley
Oh yes that would do it :)
Hmm maybe I should add a message at the end to warn people that it is simulator.
It's got a few people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sm

More
16 Apr 2019 20:57 #131006 by sm
yes, perhaps that would be nice! :)
something like: Please note, if you check this box your board will stop working at all :)

More
17 Apr 2019 01:20 #131027 by cmorley
In master I added a warning if using simulator:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, tommylight

More
17 Apr 2019 01:23 #131028 by tommylight
Nice, thank you.

More
17 Apr 2019 01:37 #131029 by sm
THANK YOU! :)

IMHO, it would be good to add this or similar message on the page where this checkbox is. You see, if someone like me accidentally checked this box, or perhaps thinking it will be no harm - it would be kind of challenging to connect this message on the last page with this checkbox on one of the very first pages... IMHO...
My point is - not everyone is using linuxcnc to run traditional cnc machine, like mill or lathe. I am, for example is trying to use it on machine, which I have built to cut natural stone. so, it is "flat" application, I am not using Z axis, but have to deal with it in stepconf, because I have no other option. as so, I am, for sure, do not know linuxcnc well unlike many other people on this forum. for me it is one of the tools I am using to accomplish my goal. and I am using many others for the same purpose. so, if this particular tool can be implemented more easier to use - I would really appreciate it (like many other users as well).
I hope it make sense what I said above.
Regards,
S.

More
17 Apr 2019 06:03 #131037 by cmorley
ok in master you can config XY machines

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: sm

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds