More
19 Apr 2019 06:58 #131225 by pl7i92
if you give us here a little more infos

Tb6600 microsteps 2 = 400steps/rev
Leadscrew 1605
Timingbelt pulley 20 on motor pulley 25 on leadscrew

Brekout board C10

THAT woudt help us

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2019 02:56 #131268 by cmorley

Hi Chris,
it is my understanding that you are developer for linuxcnc.
May I propose to use sqlite for all linuxcnc configurations settings instead of linuxcnc.var and the rest setting/configuration files?
I think that would significantly simplify development/configuration/usage.
sqlite is present practically everywhere on every platform. it is fast and small. its file/database is self-contained, so, it is easy to move configured linuxcnc to another machine if needed/appropriate.
it will be much easier to develop gui as well as all the settings/configurations can be read from it.
I see some other benefits as well.

Regards,
Slava

Yes I'm a developer for linuxcnc - I work more on GUI code then anything else. I've dabbled with some things in the 'core'.
One reason linuxcnc use files as it does is that kernel/realtime code access then and there are limitations to what they can use.
Saying that, there surely are many modern updates that would help linuxcnc be easier to use/develop.
It a catch 22 though - we need more devs to audit and update code, but the code is difficult to work on.
The linuxcnc dev hierarchy is in rough shape at the moment IMHO - but I'm sure that will improve with time.

Andy has an experimental branch that had the toolfile as a database - i think he got discouraged by the lack of communication about it - I hope he tries again.

Chris M

More
20 Apr 2019 03:11 #131270 by sm
yes, I saw in source an attempt to use db. well... you most likely know all this, so, I just wanted to remind - sqlite is fast, most used db. it is in-file db. but it can be also made in-memory db, which will make it even faster. python has well implemented libs to interact with sqlite and it is quite easy to deal with sqlite in python. in c it is a bit more challenging, but still doable.
I don't want to waste your time here - just wanted to say, that I think it will be lots benefits if sqlite will be used instead of plain files.

oh...while I remember... XY only CNC machines are not weird (like foam cutting machine for example) - they just differ from traditional ones. :)

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds