Homing issue with new Rong Fu mill cnc conversion

More
11 Sep 2019 06:07 #144783 by pl7i92
for the LIGHT in the confusion
i take a pice of paper and get the coordinates XY pos/neg on
and a pencil in the z ;-)
so yu can see easy and never fail

ALSO You may get the Steppers/Motors moving first to the base setup Direction NO Invert
i did see problems
on Double inverting as of the Arrow key changes on Keyboard positioning
Doesnt matter
the only thing that counts is the TOOL Running the Code on coordinate
The following user(s) said Thank You: pharmerphil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2019 08:27 #145114 by pharmerphil
Success at last!!!
I found the solution on the CNCZone forum and along with some tips on this thread now have the homing working on all 3 axis.
I will explain what was wrong and the solution here in case anyone else with the problem finds this thread, but first thanks to andypugh, hakan and others for clarifying that I should be looking at which way the tool moves, not which way the table moves.
This confirmed that I had both the X and Y direction reversed – but that was not the cause of the homing issue as it still failed on homing when I fixed the stepper direction. I changed the stepper direction with a switch on the stepper driver. I probably also could have rectified it by inverting the ‘Direction’ output in the stepperconf setup, or by reversing wires on the stepper motors.
The solution to the homing issue was that the HOME_SEARCH_VEL and HOME_LATCH_VEL has to be a minus number for a milling machine where the table moves. Also as suggested by Mike_Eitel I reduced the HOME_LATCH_VEL = 1.5.
I am using a machine that has a parallel port, a Chinese breakout board, HBS86H Stepper drivers and NEMA 34 8NM stepper motors. It is a Rongfu RF20 round column mill drill.
The steps I went through to get it working were:
First in used stepperconf to setup the motor velocities with no limit switches configured, manually homed the machine, moved all the axis in close to the centre of their travel and ‘air machined’ the Axis.ncg example ‘LinuxCNC’.
This revealed my steppers were set to move in the wrong direction. Once the directions were changed I modified the machine configuration using stepperconf and added the following:
‘Both home and limits X’ on pin 13
‘Both home and limits Y’ on pin 14
‘Both home and limits Z’ on pin 15
Following the tip from CNCZone forum I edited the my-mill.ini file and changed the HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -5.0 and HOME_LATCH_VEL = -1.5 for the X and Y axis. Note that they are MINUS numbers.
Problem solved.
I also set the HOME_SEQUENCE = 0 for Z, 1 for X and 2 for Y. This gets the Z axis ‘up’ first so the tool is (hopefully) out of harms way before X and Y move.
The forum thread I found the solution on is: www.cnczone.com/forums/linuxcnc-formerly.../300874-forum-2.html
Thanks again for everyone's help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Leon82

More
14 Sep 2019 11:30 #145123 by Leon82
Keep a copy of your ini as backup, remember if you go thru step config again you will lose your edits
The following user(s) said Thank You: pharmerphil

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds