X Axis Travel Accuracy

More
21 Oct 2019 05:02 #148440 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic X Axis Travel Accuracy
Sometimes i'm very pragmatic...
And change scale..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2019 05:12 #148441 by Jason Arnold
Replied by Jason Arnold on topic X Axis Travel Accuracy
Thanks Mike,

I’ll give it a go and see how she goes. Effectively I’ll be calibrating the axis. Must have been a fluke the Y axis came out right. The gantry axis was the one I expected to cause pain but it was the easiest...

Cheers,
Jason.

More
21 Oct 2019 05:50 #148442 by Mike_Eitel
If you calc 5*32+31/32 / 6*32 you get 0.9947916666666
precision of rack pinion combo..... Not bad
Mike

More
21 Oct 2019 09:55 #148454 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic X Axis Travel Accuracy
You may want to check your Y axis closer. If X axis is twice as long then if the mech's are exactly the same the error would be half of 3/16 on the Y.
What I am saying is if the X is like 8 foot and the Y is 4 foot a 3/16 error on X would equate to a .09 error on Y. That's hard to pickup with a tape.

More
21 Oct 2019 10:00 #148455 by Jason Arnold
Hi Bevins,

Both the X and Y are the same length. The working area is 4' x 4'.

I have to say that the Rack and Pinion system that CNC Routerparts make is very good. This is just the standard version too.

I guess I'm probably under the misconception that once you enter the parameters in stepconfig wizard that all should be good. It now seems that it will get you in the ball park and then the user needs to fine tune things.

Cheers,
Jason.

More
21 Oct 2019 16:04 #148479 by Leon82
Replied by Leon82 on topic X Axis Travel Accuracy
If the round gear is undersized on the pitch diameter I think it could cause this. 8m trying to visualize it in my head.

Get 2 dowel pins and measure your two gears 180 deg apart and see if they are the same

More
21 Oct 2019 16:11 #148480 by Mike_Eitel
Was my first thinking too. But as there are theeth i suspect the rack...
Just scale it ;-)

More
01 Nov 2019 08:56 #149341 by Jason Arnold
Ok a bit of an update.

Last week I tried scaling both the X and Y axis to improve accuracy. Unfortunately this had a negative effect on circular cuts so I reverted back to the old settings.

This week I had another look at things with the scaling. This time I used the calibration utility within LinuxCNC to tweak the settings along with a dial indicator. I was only moving the machine 0.1” and taking readings. Unfortunately (again) I found the setting changes to be misleading. My immediate thought was slop in the system. With the dial indicator resting against the gantry I was able to move the indicator +/- 0.0075 on the right side of the gantry and +/- 0.003” on the right side.

Interesting... Upon further checking I’ve found that the pinion gears are actually worn. I also found that belt tension had an impact on slop too but I believe the root cause is pinion wear.

I bought these rack and pinion drives from CNC Router parts. Interestingly they now offer spare pinions for their system specifically for people using their machines in a production environment. The plot thickens... Just lately I’ve noticed the circularity of holes has degraded hence chasing down this issue in more detail.

Anyway, I’ve ordered some more parts and will update this thread with the results. Hopefully this will be of help to others out there.

Cheers,
Jason.

More
01 Nov 2019 12:58 #149349 by Leon82
Replied by Leon82 on topic X Axis Travel Accuracy
Does your setup allow you to adjust the pinion depth?

You could probably tighten it up a little. But too tight will accelerate wear also.

More
01 Nov 2019 23:36 #149398 by Jason Arnold
Hi Leon,

The Rack and Pinion system does use a preload spring to pull the pinion against the rack.

I'll pull one of the pinions off the machine today and post some pictures of the wear. I guess it's better to wear the pinion than the rack. ;-)

Cheers,
Jason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leon82

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds