Trouble with switches/homing/probe

More
16 Jan 2021 23:19 #195589 by Jabbery
Thanks guys! Another problem solved and 2 new ones exposed! I am getting there. I think!

I only had a 2.2k resistor and that put +15V on the mesa pin. It is very borderline but it is working. DVM? not sure what that is. I looked it up in google and I'm sure its not Doctor on Vet Medicine or Dept of Motor Vehicles lol. Google isn't always helpful!

Everything is working mechanically, drives, homing etc Spindle uses its own power supply and it is working and speed controllable. The only item that was not working mechanically was the touch probe now on to the gmoccapy of the probe functionality.

I a few days ago ordered a new power supply once I found this one would not go above 22V. For now I figured it was "good enough" to start messing with learning the mesa and linuxcnc. I had a pile of parts for months burning a hole in my drawer. I could put a 12V supply on it but I wanted a little extra oomf on the nema 17's. I was not even sure if nema17's could handle a baby spindle. It is only for learning but it does need to work to some level even if I can only cut .5 mm into cold butter!

This is a learning step (I hope) for the actual project of a 6' x 12' laser/spindle/plasma table with dual servos on dual gantrys. I thought I would get my feet wet (ok in my defence the slope was slippery and I fell in but I did get my feet wet along with everything else) in my office first so I could skip the step of banging my head against a 2 ton machine. Its also a little cheaper to break a small test one. I was never one for taking on an easy task!

I typically learn fast (see note on banging my head and add 'a lot'). Linuxcnc has a lot of good documentation and scattered examples makes it a bit overwhelming at times. You guys are invaluable!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2021 23:32 #195592 by tommylight

More
17 Jan 2021 00:10 #195605 by andypugh
DVM = Digital Volt Meter in this context.

More
17 Jan 2021 00:33 #195610 by tommylight
Oh ch#t, i was laughing and forgot to explain the DVM ! :pinch:
Sorry.

More
17 Jan 2021 01:30 #195619 by Jabbery
lol
Anyone have any suggestions on the gmoccapy configuration for adding buttons or something for calling gcode functions? I'm not afraid of writing code, I am suppose to be a C/(C++ sorta, they made me do it!) programmer for 30 years! Python, who came up with that, spaces for program flow, weird. Poor old perl abandoned! It was at least C like.

I have I think to work on manual toolchange and touchoff after toolchange.

I read a pile of threads and the documentation.

I think what I learned from that was the gcode function and that I am less smart than when I started!

The gcode function was cool though, it did beyond my wildest dreams of what I didn't expect it to do! In a way it was like automating a model rocket being loaded onto a launcher and launched! I was able to fix that before I had a hole in the ceiling! Dang inches vs rest of the world!

Note: The first attempt was not <1>

O <101> sub
(note to self, G20 on mm machine = rocket launch of spindle!)
G21 (mm G20=INCH!)
( Set current Z position to 0 so that we will always be moving down )
G10 L20 P0 Z0
( Probe to Z-25 at F2 [Uses machine units, this is meant to be slow!] )
(OMG F2 for 25mm, I drank 2 coffees, tinkered in the garage, had a nap, woke up and rinsed my eyes with coffee before it got there!)
(note to self buy a spring loaded sensor and double touch it, also see rocket launch note soon with spring boost assist)
G38.2 Z-25 f2
( Set Z0 at point where probe triggers with offset of +19.2mm [this is the thickness of the touch plate.] )
G10 L20 P1 Z19.2
(Use machine coordinates)
G90
(I am not sure what G53 G0 does even after reading what G53 does. Move in machine coords but with no move specified?)
G53 G0
(Incremental mode)
G91
(Rapid Z up 10 mm DRO should read Z29.2)
G0 Z10
O <101> endsub

Any thoughts on if this is good/bad?

Thanks in advance

More
18 Jan 2021 13:04 #195781 by andypugh

(I am not sure what G53 G0 does even after reading what G53 does. Move in machine coords but with no move specified?)

It will do exactly the same as G0, ie set the motion mode to rapid.

But then all your motion lines have G1 or G0 anyway, so in fact it does nothing.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds