Tandem Y never runs two steppers

More
08 Jul 2021 03:49 - 08 Jul 2021 03:51 #214006 by PCW
I think one issue is that there is no provision in the config utilities to setup
A gantry without gantry homing (squaring) ability. If you are comfortable with
hal you can add this to the hal file with some relatively simple copy-paste mods.

You could also do this rather simply in hardware if you don't need to jog the joints
separately, ether by simply tying the Y,Y2 drives STEP/DIR pins together, or if
the 7I96 doesn't provide enough electrical drive to run both drives, you could wire
the STEP+,DIR+,GND pins to step drive Y and STEP-,DIR-,+5V pins to step drive Y2
with the STEP- and DIR- pins of the Y step drive connected to GND and the STEP+
and DIR+ pins of the Y2 step drive connected to +5.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2021 03:51 by PCW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2021 07:01 #214009 by Clive S

... it should not be this difficult to setup a simple 3 axis with two Y motors...

It's difficult because the crystal ball has broke  . You need to give more info. for a start post your ini and hal files and answer the questions.

As have been said you need 2 inputs for the Y axis.  Start by having  just 1 home/limit  switch for each side of the Y gantry (Y1 and Y2)

It is better to edit the hal and ini files directly.  Show how you have actually wired the switches physically to the card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
08 Jul 2021 09:43 #214017 by hairyMug
Thank you; I'll give one last shot through editing the HAL... and then try the hardware solution...

>> I just retired after 30+ years as IT guy and was hoping to get away from programming ;-) but it looks like I may have to dive into the HAL manual...

More
08 Jul 2021 15:33 #214032 by hairyMug
took the hardware approach and things are progressing...
next challenge; getting the right signals to the "spinx" board...
thanks for your help...
>> YOUR crystal ball must be working! :LOL

More
17 Jul 2021 12:37 - 17 Jul 2021 12:39 #215134 by fernandosf

Do you have limit switches on both sides?
If not, do not set a tandem axis, it will not work as it is intended to.
Again if not, set a 3 axis/3 joints machine just select the same axis outputs for two drives.

Hey TommyLight, 
    I have a gantry with 4 joints (XYYZ) and have set it up in the hope of been able to correct Y alignment by jogging both Y separately (although I still could not figure it out how). Is it possible?

Since I have just 1 input pin of parport to handle Limits+Homing I guess it is not possible to align Y by using 2 switches (one for Y1 and other for Y2). Is that correct?

Thanks,
Last edit: 17 Jul 2021 12:39 by fernandosf. Reason: quoting for clarity

More
17 Jul 2021 12:46 #215135 by rodw

Since I have just 1 input pin of parport to handle Limits+Homing I guess it is not possible to align Y by using 2 switches (one for Y1 and other for Y2). Is that correct?

Thanks,

Yes, thats how you do it but they must be separate inputs on your parport. Set the home_offset of both to = -1 and you should be good. 
To align the gantry, yu just need to adjust the home_offset on each side.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fernandosf

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds