Homing failure only on Y axis

More
11 Sep 2021 10:50 - 11 Sep 2021 11:01 #220208 by philcobt
I need a little advice please.

I have an XYZ home made router running Axis 2.8.2-11-g6a3d0a434 through the parallel port, which has been running fine for some while.

Yesterday morning I went through the usual initialisation - Home all, set XYZ etc cut a part and all was well. I quit LinuxCNC and shutdown the PC in the 'proper' way.

Last night I went to cut another part and during the Home all process the Z homed OK, X homed OK but the Y started to home in the opposite direction for no apparent reason.

The Keyboard moves the Y axis both directions so it's not a DIR wiring connection failure.

I've tried Restarting LinuxCNC, rebooting the PC, tried running StepConf again and saving, running StepConf making a minor mod and resetting the mod and saving - all with no change to the Home All Y direction - still wrong.

My last resort will be to rebuild the software as I guess there's a bit changed somewhere in the software changing the direction of the Y home movement.

Can anyone suggest what else I can do to determine the fault, any checks to make or any other actions I can take please? 
I like to know what caused the problem so I know what to do/look for in the future if this happens again.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Barry

Last edit: 11 Sep 2021 11:01 by philcobt. Reason: Clearer explanation of topic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2021 10:57 #220209 by philcobt
Replied by philcobt on topic Homing failure on Y axis
Additional information:

XY&Z have a single switch on each axis for Limit & home functions
Barry

More
11 Sep 2021 18:20 #220246 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Homing failure on Y axis
Hard to say. But things like that usually don't change overnight. The direction of initial search movement during homing is set in the ini file in your config folder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: philcobt

More
11 Sep 2021 23:46 #220269 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Homing failure on Y axis

But things like that usually don't change overnight.

+1
I have several industrial machines with dual Y axis, imagine what would happen to them if that changes on it's own !
Did you open the "calibration" menu while LinuxCNC was still running or after finishing the job?
Did you by any chance double click on the .ini file?
-
Check the config folder, pretty sure there will be another file with .ini.bak, open it and the .ini file and compare the homing entries. If there is a missing or added - (minus) , the .ini has been edited.

More
12 Sep 2021 07:28 #220279 by philcobt
Hi Tommylight
Thanks for both of your replies
I'll look later today to see if there's any change in the .ini files (got family coming today so wife 'suggests' that's a higher priority :) )
I didn't open the calibration menu at the time or anything else, I just shut the machine down as usual and found the issue when I restarted it.
I have opened the calibration menu when I was trying to discover anything I could find to get back to 'normal' but I don't remember changing anything as I couldn't see anything relevant.
Thanks once again, your reply gives me a starter of what to look for.
Cheers
Barry
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 Sep 2021 13:22 - 13 Sep 2021 13:23 #220437 by philcobt
Many thanks to all for their help.

Well that's a strange one :)

Convinced it was a software issue I installed another HDD & loaded V2.8.2 only to find the same thing happened. Not a software fault.

Ran stepconf, changed the Y Home switch velocity to a + (was a -) and the Y axis moved in the right direction BUT it didn't stop at the limit switch.

THE FAULT WAS A JAMMED LIMIT SWITCH !

Analysing the issue, during Y homing the system thought it had reached the limit and was backing off waiting for the switch to become false, which because it was jammed, never happened and so travelled to the opposite extreme.

Resetting the config, unjamming the switch and manually operating it I was able to replicate the 'fault' proving the solution to be correct.

Phew that's a relief :)

Cheers
Barry
Last edit: 13 Sep 2021 13:23 by philcobt.

More
13 Sep 2021 17:19 #220471 by tommylight
Still i think something is not right there as if the limits are tripped the machine should not move or home or anything without clicking on "ignore limits" in the GUI.

More
13 Sep 2021 20:12 - 13 Sep 2021 20:14 #220497 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Homing failure on Y axis
You should get the error when you turn the machine on that you are on a limit switch. It should not allow you to turn the machine on.
And you definitely shouldn't be able to jog with the machine off.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2021 20:14 by bevins.

More
13 Sep 2021 22:19 #220519 by philcobt
Thanks tommylight,
Just checked this on my machine.
I am not an expert so I may be using the incorrect terminology (apologies) and my machine may not be set up in a ‘proper’ or conventional way, I am a lone, self taught user with a machine that has worked fine for me for quite a few years.
My setup has 3 switches, one on each axis. In the parallel port setup I declare the 3 switches are Home X, Home Y and Home Z, with no reference to Limit functionality. Thus I have what I believe to be soft limits where the minimum limit is the home switch and the max limit is home + specified travel for each axis.
When I power up in a random position and Home all each axis homes Z then X then Y as expected. If I Home all again I get a prompt Re-home? Each axis then moves away from the switch then moves towards the switch then backs off a bit (technical term )
It’s this latter functionality that caused the problem I first highlighted since the Y switch was permanently active. The Y axis moves away from the Home Y switch (until it became false) and since it was jammed on it kept moving away until it released (which it never did).
To answer bevins,
I do not have any limit switches only home switches as described above. That seems strange to me anyway, if it is on the limit you are saying that the machine will not turn on? Then how do you move it off the limit to turn it on – it seems like a catch 22 to me on the limit so can’t turn on, but can’t turn on to move it off the limit??
Agreed when you say “and you definitely shouldn’t be able to jog with the machine off” I didn’t say that.

More
13 Sep 2021 23:15 #220528 by tommylight
That explains it! :)
Should be easy enough to add limit functionality in .hal as that will prevent the machine from moving if the switches are tripped, it is a nice safety feature.
 linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/config/ini-homing.html

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds