C10 Bidirectional Breakout Board

More
12 Aug 2023 06:10 #277704 by rodw
I was never that lucky! I use 5.10 on my milling machine but it runs ethercat devices which has vastly more efficient TCP protocols in its fieldbus technology so its better dealing with network latency.

I could never get 5.x to work with Mesa with the network hardware I had.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2023 06:23 #277706 by phillc54
Actually I just checked my plasma table and it is also 5.10 but with a 7i96.

FWIW they both have Realtek NIC's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
12 Aug 2023 09:52 #277715 by tommylight
5.x had issues with Intel NIC's, and that is technicaly not an issue at all, it is just proper support for hardware, granted it defaulted to adding some latency to network communications, that could have been changed.
For normal use, nobody ever noticed any difference between 4.x 5.x or 6.x.
We did, we had a warning telling us the machine is on it's own and out of our control! :)
-
I have machines running 4.x, 5.x, 6.x with Intel and RealTek NIC's, even one with Marvel NIC that can check network wires from BIOS, but it's quite old.
PCW's advice to set coalescing to 0 works always for me.

More
12 Aug 2023 12:24 #277725 by rodw

For normal use, nobody ever noticed any difference between 4.x 5.x or 6.x.

Thats the thing, because there was never a linuxcnc ISO for Debian Bullseye (which was 5.10), very few people went to the trouble of compiling from source in the absence of packages on the 5.x kernel. So the adoption of the 5.x kernel was not widespread.

It wasn't until people started to try the Bookworm packages that widespread problems  were reported. From memory, early Bookworm kernels started at about 5.15 and are noww at 6.10. I've lost count how many people have thanked me for solving their error finishing read issues with my instructions (and using prebuilt 6.3 kernel as a last resort).

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds