What Do I Need for ESTOP and Safety Circuitry?

More
05 Aug 2023 23:09 #277067 by Lethal69GTO
Novice here with zero knowledge and experience of industrial control, please forgive the lengthy post.  I have read and searched numerous threads here as well as YouTube videos to ad nauseam and been at it since 0430 this morning with only frustration to show for it.  Here is my setup of a DIY PrintNC machine:
  • "Axis" 3-axis configuration, X, Y1, Y2, Z.
  • Mesa 7i76E.
  • 120VAC 2.2kW water-cooled spindle (Z-mounted, but not connected to VFD).
  • Huanyang VFD (powers up).
  • PNP proximity sensors at both ends of X, Y1, and Y2.  Z only has software limits defined.
    • Prox sensors wired to 3-wire PLC input module, 6-way sensor terminal block with the signals wired to Mesa digital-in.  HAL "sees" the states of the prox sensors which appropriately change when triggered.  Home and min/max limits have not been defined - yet.  That is for another day.  At the moment only software limits defined for all axis.
  • Main multi-branch power circuit enters emergency "oh sh*t" paddle switch mounted to the enclosure, much like a table saw or router table.  Pushing the paddle terminates power to the entire enclosure, everything turns off - motion and control.
  • From paddle switch, multi-branch main power circuit enters enclosure to door mounted two-position lock-out type main power rotary switch. One branch is power for typical 2-button 120VAC 24VDC coil contactor holding circuit, attached to it is all motion (VFD and D542 drivers).  Power to motion side can be killed entirely as expected with the holding circuit being turned "off".  The other phase provides power to the control side (Mesa, exhaust fan, and other peripheries).  The control side power is turned off when the main power rotary switch is turned off.
What additional hardware is needed to implement a hardware e-stop and a reset function?  I do not wish to route main 120V through e-stop buttons, rather like to keep it inside the enclosure. I only have e-stop NO/NC mushroom buttons of various styles and hole diameters.  Nothing else.  I've read the "External Power On/Off + EStop" and "Emergency STOP on mesa card 7i76e" threads several times.  Please interject and correct my understanding of how to proceed:
  • Connect a Mesa TB1 field power output (pin 0-3) to the NO in terminal of the e-stop button.  Using more than one e-stop button requires wiring the NO circuitry in parallel so that a possible malfunctioning switch along the chain does not cause an unwanted e-stop signal - the switch must be intentionally depressed by human action.
  • Connect the e-stop NO out terminal to Mesa digital-in pin (TB5 or TB6, pin number to determined for coding in HAL).  This is the e-stop pressed "event notification" signal.  In my case it is 24VDC.
  • Connect Mesa digital-out (TB5 or TB6, pin number to be determined for coding in HAL) to +VDC terminal of solid-state relay.
    Q: This and the GND connection will cause the relay to energize its coil and open (if NC relay) thereby removing the +5V signal from Mesa to the stepper drivers ENA+, thereby "disabling" them so they no longer output Step/Dir pulses to the stepper motors?  Is that its intent? 
    Q: Does not removing power to ENA+ cause the stepper motors to stop moving?  Power to them can be left on?

Q: Do I need a SPDT or DPDT and what kind NO only, NO/NC, NC only?  I ordered two of these based on Rod's recommendation in one of the aforementioned threads, is this correct?  Ultrathin DIN Rail Relay Module, MRD-060D2, Input 4-32VDC NO
  • Connect Mesa GND to -VDC terminal of solid-state relay.I think I am a-OK to this point.  My conundrum is the "load" side of the relay.  Stepper drivers ENA+ can accept +5V~24V and they and accompanying ENA- are NOT connected on my machine.
    Q: Does that signal pulse have to come from the +5V terminal of one of the unused Mesa Step/Dir output connectors on TB2 or TB3?  Does this Step/Dir output need to be added to the system configuration if I did not select 5 steppers in configuration wizard?  It isn't being used as step/dir controller, how does the +5V terminal actually go high?
    Q: Could the signal instead come from one of the Mesa digital-out terminals of TB5 or TB6 with a buck/step-down converter reducing the 24VDC to 10VDC max and programmed in HAL appropriately?  Only need an "on" signal, right?  I suppose the buck converter is another point of possible hardware failure to contend with.
  • Connect Mesa GND to D542 ENA- terminal.
    Q: Does it actually matter the source of the Mesa ground?  Could it be a "field ground" (terminal block connected to Mesa TB1 or to TB3 supply power ground) or does it have to also come from the same unused/spare Step/Dir output connector supplying the +5V?
  • Daisy-chain connect each of the D542 stepper driver's +ENA and -ENA.
Now the part I need the most help with.  What to do with the NC branch of the E-Stop button in order to to stop I guess the power to the VFD?  Should power to it be removed entirely or should the output speed, direction, etc. to the spindle be turned "off" - and how?  Another relay and routing through Mesa?

Thank you.
Darryl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2023 00:38 #277072 by PCW

Connect a Mesa TB1 field power output (pin 0-3) to the NO in terminal of the e-stop button.  Using more than one e-stop button requires wiring the NO circuitry in parallel so that a possible malfunctioning switch along the chain does not cause an unwanted e-stop signal - the switch must be intentionally depressed by human action.

You should not switch the field power

An ESTOP circuit should remove _primary_ power from the axis and spindle

More
06 Aug 2023 01:37 #277076 by rodw
Estop is such a big topic. For home use, you can use a NO/NC estop so one side drops mains power to the spindle and the drives. THe other side then switches 24v power to an input in Linuxcnc that tells it that estop has been pressed (I control.0.emc-enable-in) But as you say, with multiple estops, you need to route mains power everywhere.
There is a component called estop-latch which can be used to build the estop chain in software by using multiple instances of it. Its not well documented but works well but its probably not compliant in a commercial sense. But it worked fine for me.

This video explains this in more detail.

forum.linuxcnc.org/24-hal-components/379...w-things-work-series

In a commercial setting, you should be using a standards compliant safety switch. They add a lot of complexity to the circuitry as each component in the circuit has dual redundancy.

More
06 Aug 2023 06:47 #277091 by Aciera
Simple (but not the safest) solution is to route a 24V signal through your e-stop chain that activates a contactor which connects your motor drives to mains. Using two contactors in series gives redundancy. Using two contactors and a safety relay will give you the added benefit of having it detect if one of the contactors does not open.
Note that some VFDs/motor drivers offer a dedicated safety input that will bring the motor to a controlled stop within a defined time rather than just having it run out when mains power is cut. This is the usual requirement in an industrial setting these days.
What level of safety you need is up to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
06 Aug 2023 07:29 #277094 by rodw

Note that some VFDs/motor drivers offer a dedicated safety input that will bring the motor to a controlled stop within a defined time rather than just having it run out when mains power is cut. This is the usual requirement in an industrial setting these days.

In terms of compliance with the relevant standards (which I am too lazy to look up), it not just enough to use a safety relay. I bought the red one shown here. Then I needed a couple of special force guided relays shown in front to trigger the contactor behind it. These have a non-conductive probe that is forced between the relay contacts to ensure they open if they are welded shut.
But this circuit simply drops power to the drives and spindle which is not desirable. What I should have done is to use a timer relay so the spindle and drives could be disabled gracefully before the circuits were turned off. But for compliance, I could not use an ordinary (non-standards compliant) timer relay so I should have used a safety relay with a timer built in to preserve the safety circuit. All of this adds a lot to cost so for home use where an employee is not using the machine, simple is good!

More
06 Aug 2023 07:33 #277095 by rodw
Ooops file was too big.

Attachments:

More
08 Aug 2023 00:43 #277296 by Lethal69GTO

What level of safety you need is up to you.

Thank you for all responding.  Ultimately Aciera statement is my viewpoint.  I was seeking input from the experts and those in know with the wiring and hardware but I see there is conflicting opinion with respect cutting main power to drivers and motors or not to and the definition of what an e-stop is and underlying control function.

I am sure this topic has been discussed many times over and I do not profess to be an industrial control expert and would rather not open the Pandora's Box.  The state of the machine all depends on the level of stop category one desires, from what I have found:
  • Level 0 is an uncontrolled stop immediately removing power to the machine actuators.
  • Level 1 is a controlled stop with power available to the machine actuators to achieve the stop and then removal of power when the stop is achieved.
  • Level 2 is a controlled stop with power left available to the machine actuators.
Level 0 I already have by my paddle switch that cuts main power to the machine actuators and control in their entirety.  The ultimate "holy s**t" button.  Terminate power, evaluate current condition and take appropriate corrective action. I think the level of controlled stop I am going to attempt is 1.  I currently have what I would consider a good understanding of needed connections in HAL and have most of it mocked up.

Again, appreciate the input from all.

- Darryl

More
10 Aug 2023 18:25 - 10 Aug 2023 18:28 #277556 by D.L.
My device, power relay with soft start function(inrush current limit):

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Aug 2023 18:28 by D.L..

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds