Spindle and encoder

More
12 Aug 2023 05:22 #277698 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Spindle and encoder
Peter, I have one of these (but not wired in). the specs are on the page
docs.masso.com.au/wiring-and-setup/setup...asso-optical-encoder
CAUTION: Output signals are 0v for LOW signal and 10v for HIGH signal.

It would be handy if mesa could handle that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2023 07:17 #277710 by smplc
Replied by smplc on topic Spindle and encoder
Will the Masso Optical Encoder suffice with the 7i96s?  Threading is an expected feature to use and if the Z channel is required then it should be in the configuration.  I forgot to select Spindle Encoder at the previous PncConf Wizard.  I selected the Spindle Encoder for the recent PncConf and now the RPM GUI twitches tremendously but a commanded G97 appears smooth and consistent rotation.  The tachometer still is reading a lot less than the commanded RPM.
Attachments:

More
12 Aug 2023 12:33 #277726 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Spindle and encoder

Will the Masso Optical Encoder suffice with the 7i96s? 

That is a question I was hoping PCW could answer for us. eg can the 7i96s handle 10 volt encoder input?

More
12 Aug 2023 14:38 - 12 Aug 2023 14:39 #277732 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Spindle and encoder
The 7I96/7I96SS can accept +10V signals (in single ended/TTL mode) but the signal
must swing to near ground. This will work if the outputs are NPN or push-pull type
but not if they are PNP type. The MASSO information is not sufficient to determine this.

To check this, first make sure the 7I96 encoder inputs are jumpered for single ended
mode, and then measure the voltages on A,B,and Index when the MASSO LEDs are
on and when they are off.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2023 14:39 by PCW.

More
12 Aug 2023 16:09 #277736 by smplc
Masso Optical Encoder
Spindle-off (M5)

Low signal
Z 0.63VDC
B 0.28VDC
A 0.28VDC

7i96s
Low Signal
Z 0.28VDC
B 0.28VDC
A 0.28VDC

The spindle MDI, S1000 M3 but the tachometer reads 400 RPM and upon the Hal Scope and Meter.

The 7i96s jumper is positioned for single-ended mode.  The low signals are near a quarter volt.  The high signals are foregoing.  Is compatibility enough to proceed with the configuration?
Attachments:

More
12 Aug 2023 17:27 #277744 by PCW
Yes, that should be OK

More
12 Aug 2023 19:54 #277747 by smplc
How is the commanded spindle G97 matched to the tachometer RPM configured? MDI, G96 constant surface feet may be functional because of the variable speed jogging the cross slide but positive and negative travel only a short distance before the motor 0 RPM. How can the configuration be corrected from here? What about the GUI RPM twitching? Is any additional code required in the .hal and .ini files? Should the 12.2.2 PWM Spindle Speed and 12.2.6.1 Spindle Synchronized Motion code be used and edited to the 7i96s?

The X and Z axes were set up in the PncConfig as stepper motors without encoders regardless of them including encoders (1000 LPR) because their drivers have Digital Process Control. The X and Z axes calibration seems okay.

More
12 Aug 2023 20:39 #277753 by smplc
I wonder if the spindle or cross slide is inverse of one another because commanding a higher surface foot the spindle decreases speed as the tool approaches (X-) the centerline (X0) in front. The spindle speed increases from centerline retracting (X+) to home in the front. The spindle speed should increase the nearer the tool is to the centerline.

More
12 Aug 2023 20:46 #277754 by PCW
There are at least  two separate issue here:

1. Does the indicated RPM from the encoder match the real RPM?

2. Does the real RPM match the commanded RPM?

More
12 Aug 2023 22:43 #277763 by smplc
1. No, not with the PyVCP RPM. Is another place to see encoder RPM and where?

2. No, the real RPM from a tachometer and proximity light isn't matching the commanded RPM.

I ran this short program and the X motor feed sounds like a grumbling noise. I'd figure IPR is functional and the motor could use some tuning. However, if running g94 f19.0 (IPM) the motor sounds fairly quiet and smooth.

o7414 (Test spindle)
g18 g20 g90 g95 g7 g40
g53 x0 z0
g97 s500 m3
g1 x-1.0 f0.05
g53 g0 x0
m30

How to rid of the grumbling noise? Could the X and Z analog signals require nearer a square shape? Can the X and Z motors be seen in the Hal Scope pins and signals and which one's? How about the PID? I can try some more motor tuning with the velocity. I before probably tuned the motors in IPM while jogging.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds