Prototype new website for Linux CNC: Feedback please

More
21 Apr 2020 11:50 #164949 by tommylight
Please do.
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2020 15:48 #164974 by jools
Do you know why Jekyll was chosen? It seems for a static site it would have been easier to just use HTML in dreamweaver or something like that? Are there any particular features that Jekyll has that I'm overlooking?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
21 Apr 2020 16:44 #164978 by tommylight
I did not like dreamweaver when it was first released, i am sure i will not like it now, it puts to much crap that does nothing there.
For HTML nothing better than a plain and simple text editor. For PHP also. It's been nearly 20 years since i did that, maybe things have changed. And i am sure that almost all new web creation software will put some kind of tracker or back door there.

More
21 Apr 2020 17:44 #164988 by jools
Yeah I use various tools to do it, some are loaded with bloatware, others not so.

Jekyll just seems to be a layer in between the HTML that complicates things for a site this small. It’s main features seem to be creating templates for your sites, which if updated often, could be useful. It also adds a bit of blog functionality and other stuff but it doesn’t look like the site uses that.
It’s just pondering a from my side to see if any one would mind going pure html? You need that to design the pages in Jekyll if you want anything that looks not like what we have now?

More
04 May 2020 00:25 #166553 by HueyHQ
I have nothing to contribute, but I applaud you for putting in some time to give back. It's a more modern look, which is great for new people looking for LinuxCNC.
From what I can see, it is just a landing page, with links to other parts of the server - I don't see why you can't use what you like.
Personally, I'd like to see some consistency across some of the parts, but I think that would be a big ask!
My 10c worth; just a hearty "good on ya, mate"!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jools

More
04 May 2020 11:10 #166612 by jools

I have nothing to contribute, but I applaud you for putting in some time to give back. It's a more modern look, which is great for new people looking for LinuxCNC.
From what I can see, it is just a landing page, with links to other parts of the server - I don't see why you can't use what you like.
Personally, I'd like to see some consistency across some of the parts, but I think that would be a big ask!
My 10c worth; just a hearty "good on ya, mate"!

Cheers man.

Been trying to figure out Jekyll which they use for the design but it's beyond my capabilities and skills :(

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds