Configuring and calibrating EMC

More
20 Feb 2012 17:20 #17870 by Mofosheee
Because it seemed easier and less involved............ I followed what Rick G.suggested:

I went to Probotics downloads and copied the V90-emc2configs file. I pasted and extracted to the configs directory "V90_emc2_configs.zip." to the EMC configs directory per Rick G. instruction. The file appears.

I started EMC2 BUT the V90 option was not present.

Should I re-enter the step con wizard and created another V90 profile?

Not sure where I went wrong. Please adivse.

Many thanks for your assistance

regards,

Jerry

Thank you Rick and ArcEye

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2012 18:02 #17872 by BigJohnT
Did you extract the contents of the zip file?

John

More
20 Feb 2012 19:32 #17875 by andypugh
Mofosheee wrote:

I pasted and extracted to the configs directory "V90_emc2_configs.zip." to the EMC configs directory per Rick G. instruction. The file appears.

If you have done it right, you should see, in the "configs" directory a folder called "V90" and a file called "V90 Stepconf" (which contains the information that Stepconf needs if you want to change the configuration, so shouldn't be necessary").

Inside the folder called "V90" should be 12 files, including V90.ini and V90.hal.

I just went through the process: went to the Probotix site -> downloads -> clicked V90 emc2 files.
I selected to open it in the archive manager (defaiult) then pressed the "Extract" button, then navigated to emc2/configs and pressed "OK" (or whatever the button says)

Then when I opened EMC2 there was a configuration called "V90" , which I tried to open, and which crashed…

I think that their config was for quite an old version of EMC2.

However, I found a solution: By opening the Stepconf Wizard from the CNC menu, I could select "modify existing", then open the file called "V90.stepconf", then just click through all the screens to the end, and when it had finished I ended up with a working config.

More
20 Feb 2012 21:57 #17878 by Mofosheee
Yes I extracted the contents of the zip file.

When I opened the Stepconf Wizard from the CNC menu I was not presented with the "modify existing" option that you mentioned

Thank you

Jerry

More
20 Feb 2012 22:23 #17881 by BigJohnT
You won't see that unless you created the configuration from the Stepconf Wizard. Just start EMC from the menu and pick your config...

John

More
20 Feb 2012 23:31 #17884 by andypugh
Mofosheee wrote:

When I opened the Stepconf Wizard from the CNC menu I was not presented with the "modify existing" option that you mentioned

Because it is an older config, you actually need to make 2 changes.

In the emc2/configs/V90 folder delete the emc.nml file.
in the file emc2/configs/V90/V90.ini file, remove the line in the [EMC] section that says "NML_FILE = emc.nml" (about 6 lines from the top)

That should make the config work.

I am surprised that the machine has no limit switches or anything like that. You will have to home and touch-off by hand initially,

More
21 Feb 2012 09:55 #17904 by Rick G

I went to Probotics downloads and copied the V90-emc2configs file. I pasted and extracted to the configs directory "V90_emc2_configs.zip." to the EMC configs directory

Just to recap...
O.K. you pasted the downloaded the zip file to your EMC configs directory, there you see several directories of different setups as well ans the V90 zip file.

While in that directory you extracted all the files to that location. You should now see both the v90 zip directory as well as a new uncompressed v90 directory.

When you start EMC from the main menu..
Applications
CNC
EMC2
You look for the V90 config and select it.

As Andy pointed out if it is an older version you may have to modify a few things to make it work.

Rick G

More
21 Feb 2012 14:33 #17912 by Mofosheee
Back tracking my configuration steps, After extracting I am seeing:
V90
V90_emc2_configs
V90_emc2_configs(2)..............................Can I send this duplicate to the trash????????
V90.stepconf
V90_emc2_configs.zip

More
21 Feb 2012 14:38 #17914 by andypugh
Mofosheee wrote:

Back tracking my configuration steps, After extracting I am seeing:
V90
V90_emc2_configs
V90_emc2_configs(2)..............................Can I send this duplicate to the trash????????
V90.stepconf
V90_emc2_configs.zip

V90 should be a directory, containing V90.ini and 11 other files.

You can (and should) delete all the files except for the V90.stepconf and the V90 directory. Those files are now finished with.

More
21 Feb 2012 14:46 #17915 by Mofosheee
Opening smc2/configs/V90, I did not find a emc.nml file to delete
In emc2/configs/V90/V90.ini I did not find the "NML_FILE = emc.nml" to delete

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds